Unlocked Bootloader?

Icculus760

Reaction score
I've been rocking the OG Droid since its release, and thanks to all the awesome dev's out there, it's never felt outdated or slow or, well, original! With a new every 2 upgrade coming soon (you know, assuming it's still in play in a few months :icon_evil:) I'm keeping an eye on all of Verizon's new phones.

My new phone requirements: Verizon 4G network, dual cameras, dual core processesor (why not, right?) and since I'm a ROMaholic it's got to have an unlocked bootloader.

I've heard rumors that the Bionic will have an unlocked bootloader -- anyone know for sure?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would say... no chance at all for any Motorola phones having an unlocked boot loader ever again.

D1 is one-of-a-kind.

This isn't to say it won't be rooted, but NO on the unlocked bootloader for this device.

OP
I

Icculus760

Reaction score
I would say... no chance at all for any Motorola phones having an unlocked boot loader ever again.
/edit
This isn't to say it won't be rooted, but NO on the unlocked bootloader for this device.

what makes you say that?
and you better be wrong!! :cus: :D

dtdlurch

Reaction score

D1 is one-of-a-kind.

We can hope though!

Sadly, I do think the trend is heading the opposite direction. I think Motorola will need to be forced into unlocking their boot-loaders in order to stay competitive with other phone makers before they decide to do so.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Let's see, after droid 1 every motorola after that has been locked down, one can safely assume that another moto device will not be an exception, there's always if, but a big if

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
/edit

what makes you say that?
and you better be wrong!! :cus: :D

believe me, I'd love to be wrong on this one. In fact I'm hoping I am... but Moto's track record since the D1 speaks of truth in my statement.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

D1 is one-of-a-kind.

Actually, the D1 didn't have an unlocked bootloader either :p

It just didn't care what you flashed on it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We can hope, but looking at Motorola's recent path of locking down the phones with efuse I think its safe to say "No Unlocked Bootloader".

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

D1 is one-of-a-kind.

Actually, the D1 didn't have an unlocked bootloader either :p

It just didn't care what you flashed on it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

details details :)

But technically speaking, you are correct :)

Jmart922

Reaction score
Make their phones unlocked to stay competitive? If your referring to the hacking community, sorry to burst any bubbles but the truth is were a small portion of their millions of consumers, were just an after thought, if that, they stay competitive through customer services and features they offer up against att or T-Mobile

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is efuse software?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

This info was back when the X first hit the scene but hopefully helps to answer your question..

Motorola’s primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed.Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at MOTODEV.

dtdlurch

Reaction score
Make their phones unlocked to stay competitive? If your referring to the hacking community, sorry to burst any bubbles but the truth is were a small portion of their millions of consumers, were just an after thought, if that, they stay competitive through customer services and features they offer up against att or T-Mobile

I agree with you completely. Trust me, my bubbles have already been burst! I was just saying that was the only way I could see the trend turning around. That, and maybe an act of Congress. I really don't see this getting any better because, like you said, there aren't many that even care!

Raptor007

Reaction score
As disappointing as it is, CerealKiller made a good point in another thread and I agree with him. I cannot base my decision to purchase based on a locked boot loader when everything else is there. Processor(s), memory, storage, display, camera/recording etc. The hacking community will do their ever appreciated hard work and in the end we can benefit from it or stay stock. This time around I will play more with cusom launchers if I don't like MotoBlur 3.0.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Yea, I didnt let the bootloader deter me from the X.

Now that this thread is here..is the eFuse in the OMAP chip or the board in the phone? I say its a possibility if it was only in the chip. The Xbox 360 uses eFuses and runs on a Xenon cpu.

For those that will make the decision on the bootloader, there is hope with it being a Tegra 2 chip. They have OCing software for their desktop video cards. There is a chance it cant be locked down as tight and Moto doesnt care, they just wanna be in the dual core race and couldnt wait for the OMAP 4.