Unlock without button/keyboard

bishyaler

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app that allows you to wake up the phone without hitting the power button or sliding the keyboard open? Not needing to slide the lock on the screen would also be a plus.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app that allows you to wake up the phone without hitting the power button or sliding the keyboard open? Not needing to slide the lock on the screen would also be a plus.

Screen mode widget will do the job. In "Awake Stay" mode, the screen goes dark as usual either from a timeout or pushing the power button. You can then awaken the phone by pushing the power button, the volume button, or the camera button. It will skip the lock screen and take you to the screen you were on when the screen went dark.

You can switch to default behavior with "Sleep Auto" or keep the screen from turning off by overriding the timeout with "Screen Stay."

Don't ask me to explain the names of the various options.

givmedew

Reaction score

And how do you plan on unlocking your phone? With your mind!

There are 2 apps out there one is called mylock its in the market place download the basic version "mylock- auto unlock". For the options just check enabled and check automatically enable mylock after device reboot dont select the other thigns.

This will bypass the slide to unlock and wake the phone up when you hit the power key on the top!

Now if you really really want to waste your battery, call people on accident, and other things there is an app out there that will wake the phone up whenever you push the lock key, volume, or camera keys.

As far as one that will unlock the phone with your mind only I think sony has been working on something like that but you have to have this silly looking contraption on your head with cables running to a computer fallowing you around! It sounds pretty expesnive though...

The other thing you may want to do is is turn the backlight on for 30 minutes it will atleast give you what you want for 30 minutes at a time! Good luck with that!

Sweettooth

Reaction score
They put those features there as a countermeasure to the phantom call complaints that would inevitably follow.

OP
B

bishyaler

Reaction score

Screen mode widget will do the job. In "Awake Stay" mode, the screen goes dark as usual either from a timeout or pushing the power button. You can then awaken the phone by pushing the power button, the volume button, or the camera button. It will skip the lock screen and take you to the screen you were on when the screen went dark.

You can switch to default behavior with "Sleep Auto" or keep the screen from turning off by overriding the timeout with "Screen Stay."

I made this thread for a friend who converted from a Storm 2 to a Droid. He's used to waking the screen by depressing it (since the storms have that clicky/flexable overlay). Its pissing him off that he has to hit a button to wake the phone. Would prefer a screen tap. He doesn't care for the droid's keyboard so asking him to slide it open is off the table.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I made this thread for a friend who converted from a Storm 2 to a Droid. He's used to waking the screen by depressing it (since the storms have that clicky/flexable overlay). Its pissing him off that he has to hit a button to wake the phone. Would prefer a screen tap. He doesn't care for the droid's keyboard so asking him to slide it open is off the table.

I see. Well, the Storm's "clicky/flexible overlay" isn't available on the Droid. And from what I've observed, that's a good thing. But your friend may view it differently. Personally, I find it odd that people so often assume that the way they're used to doing things is inherently superior to other approaches. But that's just me.

As far as the battle between "screen mode widget" vs. "my lock- auto unlock" partisans, I'm clearly on the screen mode widget side of the divide and I've never accidentally activated my phone with the volume or camera buttons. But that may be because I have a Seidio case on the phone that protects those keys from accidental activation. YMMV. As it is, I appreciate the convenience of waking the phone with those buttons.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find it odd that people so often assume that the way they're used to doing things is inherently superior to other approaches.
Really? It happens all the time. Not only are the ways that they do things superior, but their brand/product selection is the best (doesn't matter if your needs/wants differ from theirs) as well. :D

Most people tend to stick to what they know. Nothing unusual about it. It is silly IMO but it is what it is.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find it odd that people so often assume that the way they're used to doing things is inherently superior to other approaches.
Really? It happens all the time. Not only are the ways that they do things superior, but their brand/product selection is the best (doesn't matter if your needs/wants differ from theirs) as well. :D

Most people tend to stick to what they know. Nothing unusual about it. It is silly IMO but it is what it is.

Well, my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But isn't it a bit ironic that people who pride themselves on being open to the latest and greatest technology so often assume that such change should never threaten the way they already do things? :)

mjs31

Reaction score
I really like "No Lock". You do have to use the power button to turn it off and on, but no unlock swipe.

I had the Storm and cringe when I think of it. I know what he wants, but to me, I found that a nuisance and often hit at times I didn't want to. Fact is...a click is a click. I don't quite get the need to click the screen vs the button, but to each their own.