Universal mailbox possible?

grit

Reaction score
I'm new to Android with my HTC Incredible, coming from a Blackberry Storm. Two mailbox/message things I noticed that I miss:

A universal mailbox - is there any way to have a single mailbox and messages from all of my email accounts show up there? Currently, I have to click at the top and switch to different email boxes to view messages.

Ability to select multiple messages at once - i used to be able to select several emails at once and delete them. I cant seem to figure out how to do that in Android. is it possible?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm new to Android with my HTC Incredible, coming from a Blackberry Storm. Two mailbox/message things I noticed that I miss:

A universal mailbox - is there any way to have a single mailbox and messages from all of my email accounts show up there? Currently, I have to click at the top and switch to different email boxes to view messages.

Ability to select multiple messages at once - i used to be able to select several emails at once and delete them. I cant seem to figure out how to do that in Android. is it possible?

Download K-9 from the Market. It will solve all your problems. ...Well, perhaps not all, but at least the ones above. K-9 is an alternative to the stock email and gmail clients.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
You can have all your non-Gmail accounts share an inbox. Go to email>menu>accounts>combined inbox

It's not perfect in that it will list all emails in one account, then the next account rather than listing them chronologically regardless of account. It does color code them by account though.

The second question is possible without any additional apps or settings. Just click the little boxes to the right of the message title in the inbox to check that message. Once you have one or more checked three buttons will appear at the bottom for "archive", "labels", and "delete".

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a comcast email address and 4 gmail accounts all flow into another single gmail account that lets me respond back from the original mailbox address or from the common one (works through gmail) so on the phone they all come down to a single mailbox. This was all set up on the gmail web interface, long before I got my phone. Not sure if that would help.

fibermick

Reaction score
Email problems

I thought I had my accounts set up okay but my comcast account (which I thought was forwarding to my gmail account) and my gmail show different numbers of emails. If the comcast is forwarding to gmail where's the difference in numbers coming from? I switched to the Incredible from the Moto Droid (small hands and never used the keyboard) and it seemed to be working okay before. I downloaded K-9 but it is acting weird. I'm far from a techie and I probably have set something up wrong. So if you can help I'd appreciate it and make the words simple and assume I know nothing (it would be mostly true.)

OP
G

grit

Reaction score
You can have all your non-Gmail accounts share an inbox. Go to email>menu>accounts>combined inbox

It's not perfect in that it will list all emails in one account, then the next account rather than listing them chronologically regardless of account. It does color code them by account though.

The second question is possible without any additional apps or settings. Just click the little boxes to the right of the message title in the inbox to check that message. Once you have one or more checked three buttons will appear at the bottom for "archive", "labels", and "delete".

This is exactly what I want, but I cannot figure it out. I have mail (no "email), then menu, but my options are "refresh, sort, compose, folders, delete, and more". Folders just takes me to "trash, sent, drafts, outbox". More takes me to "Move to, accounts list, new account, settings". Accounts list just allows me to switch between the two accounts. Settings does not have anything about combining.

is this a problem because one e-mail account is through MS Exchange?

As for the multiple delete part, there is no icon, box, etc next to messages in the "mail" application. new messages have an 'android green' thin vertical bar to the left when unread, and nothing once read.

Is there any way for me to take a screen shot of my phone and upload it? I dont have a camera (other than this phone).

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Not sure about the exchange email element.

Here's what mine looks like:

My inbox:

attachment.php

Menu:

attachment.php

Accounts:

attachment.php

Selecting multiple emails (check boxes):

attachment.php

I use the android SDK from my computer for screen caps. Only way to do it from the phone is if you're rooted. I'll hunt down some instructions for the SDK method if you want to try it.

OP
G

grit

Reaction score
I have no idea what rooted is but i would take any help you can offer.

My screens are similar but definitely not the same.

OP
G

grit

Reaction score
I just realized there is a separate forum for the HTC incredible. I'm guessing thatt this is an issue specifically with the HTC changes too Android?

Last edited:

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Ah, that makes a big difference. Ya, HTC's Sense UI makes quite a few changes to the stock apps. Probably be best to ask this question in the Incredible forum or maybe ask a mod to move it there.