Universal Inbox Shortcut

Quanius

Reaction score
I have spent awhile searching for a solution and no such luck,, Plenty of posts for people with the same question but no answers... wanted to throw it out there again.

How to get a shortcut on the home screen with one click that gets you to your universal inbox? For a phone with such an open architecture, I am shocked this is an issue.

Thanks

richard_mtaylor

Reaction score
I have been looking for the same thing. Thought I had to be missing something simple...........

bobstro

Reaction score
[...] How to get a shortcut on the home screen with one click that gets you to your universal inbox? For a phone with such an open architecture, I am shocked this is an issue.
I'm using Launcher Pro on a Droid 2, but I think this will work with just about any launcher.

1. Long-press on home screen to get Add to Home Screen menu.
2. Select Shortcuts
3. Select Activities (long wait on mine)
4. Scroll down to Universal Inbox and expand [EDIT: It was probably Messaging]
5. Select Universal Inbox

This gives me the Universal Inbox icon on the home screen. Why it's handled differently than the regular mail/gmail apps, I don't know, but it works.

My only niggle is that signature settings are shared between all accounts using UI.

- Bob

Last edited:

mgladden2

Reaction score
Activities is now Applications, no Universel Inbox option

Hi there,

Are you guys running Android 2.2? On my Droid X, there is no "Activity" option under dekstop > long-hold > shortcuts. It is now called "Applications" until you actually click into it, and only then does the menu header says "Activity", but more to the point, there is no "Universal Inbox" option under that menu.

I too was surprised this wasn't a default feature. I guess years of using RIM devices made this specific issue noticeable. It seems like they should just have an option in the Messaging application to open directly to the Universal Inbox.

Please let me know if I'm missing something about this work-around. I'd really like to get it going.

Mark

bobstro

Reaction score
Sorry to be so long in responding. Apparently, Launcher Pro provides the "Activities" function, which exposes functions that aren't normally visible as shortcuts. That's how I created my "Universal Inbox" item. The good news is the shortcut is still present even after changing launchers and uninstalling Launcher Pro.

See LauncherPro v0.7.4 now in the Market for a description of the Activities function.

- Bob

mgladden2

Reaction score
Apparently, Launcher Pro provides the "Activities" function...- Bob

Yeah, but it turns out the Universal Inbox is so utterly and completely worthless due its unforgivable lack of features and functionality that my quest became a dead end. Like most frustrated RIM converters, I ended up using a seperate icon for gmail, text, facebook, and running exchange for corp-sync and calendar. Android and Motorola will someday catchup to where RIM was 10 years ago. Having said that, I love my Droid X because the web browser is damn near perfect. RIM's is still worthless.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I assume you've tried Pure Messenger and Executive Assistant? I only trialed EA briefly but Pure Messenger works great with a widget as your universal inbox, although you have to use K9 for exchange and it can be a pain to set up.

Mygia

Reaction score
I'm using Launcher Pro on a Droid 2, but I think this will work with just about any launcher.

1. Long-press on home screen to get Add to Home Screen menu.
2. Select Shortcuts
3. Select Activities (long wait on mine)
4. Scroll down to Universal Inbox and expand [EDIT: It was probably Messaging]
5. Select Universal Inbox

This gives me the Universal Inbox icon on the home screen. Why it's handled differently than the regular mail/gmail apps, I don't know, but it works.

My only niggle is that signature settings are shared between all accounts using UI.

- Bob

I recently upgraded the OS to Ice Cream sandwich. Now the Universal Mailbox is gone. I have verified this with Motorola. I have also asked that they consider adding it back. In the meantime, is anyone aware of any quality 3rd party apps for universal mailbox?