Unfinished sholes manual shows instructions for inserting a sim card. GSM for USA?

shatteredzman

Reaction score
So I found a PDF which shows how to insert a sim card into the phone. The instructions can be found on page 6.

On page 46 there is warranty information that includes a USA phone number. A USA number is also mentioned on page 53.
However when a USA contact number is given so is a Canadian number. So one thing is for sure, GSM will be coming to North America.
Another thing I found is Verizon is not mentioned anywhere in this manual.

Source:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1152721&native_or_pdf=pdf

Why am I so interested in a GSM droid? Well I am specifically interested in a AT&T friendly droid. One reason is that I want to get a subsidized phone, that will save me $400! The second reason is that I have a free 5 year unlimited everything plan so I dont want to switch to Verizon. So I will continue to post information that I find interesting for others who are in a similar situation.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome.. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Droid show up on Rogers, the largest wireless carrier in Canada. That would be the phone to purchase and use on AT&T :)

Thanks for sharing the info!

chiianna

Reaction score
The Moto Droid (Sholes) is a Global phone which Verizon does put SIM cards in for so that it can work on other countries networks easier.

Leckert123

Reaction score
True, but to my knowledge, FCC is only required to support sales in the United States. There are separate regulatory approvals required for other countries, CE for Europe, etc. So, Motorola must be preparing for a US launch of the GSM model at some point, right?

One of the models tested (FCC ID IHDP56KC5) appears to be operating on both GSM and WCDMA bands (plus Wi-Fi). Perhaps this would be a Verizon world phone for corporate customers?:icon_ banana:

There is also an IHDP56KC1 (I think that's the number) which is GSM only.

Last edited:

Leckert123

Reaction score
Oops..just did some searching and it seems WCDMA has nothing to do with CDMA that Verizon uses. It's apparently the technology used for the ATT and T-Mobile 3G network. Rats.