Typing problems?

Chriebonbon

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with the keyboard? For some reason, I cannot get the letter "n" to work unless I'm typing a text message and the screen is rotated.

robdroid

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with the keyboard? For some reason, I cannot get the letter "n" to work unless I'm typing a text message and the screen is rotated.

Hi there I'm taking a shot here! Take a dry erase marker (one that wipes off) mark were that bad "n" is on display then leave txt mode say your apps home touch pad were mark is. If it wont function you sir may have a bad display pad!

Netnurse

Reaction score
Try this.........

Go into Settings> Language&Keyboard> Touch Input> Text Input> Calibration Tool, and run the tool.

I was having an issue with the screen jumping to the left, the cursor jumping all over the screen and also having difficulty typing. Once I ran this tool it seemed to have solved all the problems.

Hope it helps :)

progress.gif

jcamin

Reaction score
I'm having problems typing as well... the letter 'O' wont type when sideways. When the keyboard is vertical, the letter 'O' is near the letter 'v' and space bar... both of these work fine in the vertical orientation, so I dont think this is a bad display issue. I've tried recalibrating and resetting to factory defaults.

Any other suggestions?

thomsomc

Reaction score

I'm having the exact same issues...only I've done a bit more testing and found that the entire horizontal row of the screen at that area (roughly the entire third row of character keys on the portrait keyboard) becomes "dead." This deadzone is physically static, so that when you rotate the phone to landscape, the problem affects the keys on the landscape keyboard that are in that area (o, partially k and m, and the "12#" key). I went a bit further and got a Paint type app to check, and as you scroll your finger with the brush down the screen, you'll see that the deadzone is affected there as well, and will either stop drawing at the edge of the deadzone or "jump" straight down if you finger past the deadzone. You can see a similar type behavior when dragging to scroll, as a little "stutter" or "hop" will occur every time you finger over the dead area. So the malfunction is actually affecting all input, not just the software keyboard.

My problem is sporadic over long times...so it will malfunction for hours at a time, then suddenly remediate itself for a few more hours, only to come back again. I haven't been able to link it to an application or a process yet. Reboots don't always remediate the problem, so I can't rely on that. The person that mentioned a recalibration of the keyboard - good suggestion. This will make the keyboard useable, with a bit imperfect touch mapping, but will allow you to use the phone despite the dead area.

This isn't fun though, especially since I'm coming from an iPhone, whose stengths included a great touch keyboard. If anyone has any hints or tips as to what might be the root cause (application, background service, hardware quirk I'm not familiar with, etc) I'd really appreciate it. I'm just glad I'm not the only one, because it seems that every time I try to return the phone, it behaves perfectly for the rep :-/

jcamin

Reaction score
After playing a bit more with it... I too found the exact same issues as noted above. An entire row would be effectively dead for a period of time and then occasionally fix itself. Looking at it sideways in some lighting conditions, you can see a bunch of dots about 1/4" apart. My guess is that there is a sensor array under the glass and a whole row of sensors is going out.

In any event, my solution was to take it back to the local Verizon store and have them replace it as deffective. My new phone has worked flawlessly and is significantly more responsive then the original that was flakey.

Note, I do not pay for insurance, and they still did not give me any problems swapping it out for a brandy new one. Good luck!