tutorial: True VOIP: Google Voice > Droid

cellphonedork

Reaction score
True Voice over IP is not built into Google Voice. Google relays calls via the analog / pots phone system. With Gizmo5 in google's pocket, the "real" functionality of GV and VOIP is comming. Until then, here is a work around. I have this working and call quality is pretty good for not using cell minutes.

1: Get a Google Voice account. I recommend the fully functional version, as in a NEW number assigned to you by google.

2: Go to sipgate.com. Sign up for a sipgate one account (free).
If you have a Gizmo5 account, great, we'll use that to.

3: Sign up for an account at sipsorcery.com. (you must use a windows PC with Silverlight installed)

4: Download and install Sipdroid to your droid. The market also has it. Do not sign up for PBX's.com.

I would recommend signing into Google Voice, Sipgate and Sipsorcery in one window and under different tabs as you will be going back and forth between them.

Then open: Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice in a NEW window. READ THE ENTIRE PAGE. pay special attention to linking gizmo 5 and sipgate accounts to sipsorcery. Pay special attention to crating sipbindings.

PAY VERY SPECIAL ATTENTION to the dial plan, as this is where the link is made between Google Voice and your droid.

Add your credentials to sipdroid and you can now make calls via the internet and bypass Verizon all together.

(edit: Mods feel free to move this if I placed it in wrong forum)

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I tried this back when I first for my Droid (early Dec). It would be ideal for me since I get excellent cell signal everywhere except at home, so I could use VOIP at my house. But alas, I couldn't figure it out.

Now, I consider myself a pretty tech savvy person. I used to build computers, and I'm always the "goto guy" for my families tech problems. But this... is over my head. The main problem that I had was trying to interpret the gozmo 5 instructions and apply them to the sipgate setup.

I tried referencing several different sites with instructions, but none had a specific set of instructions for any method that is currently available (ie. not gozmo) to achieve VOIP with the Droid.

OP
cellphonedork

cellphonedork

Reaction score
This is not a clearing house for Google Voice invites. PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE REGARDING INVITES. please see the sticky at top of this forum page. If you post for invite, I will not help you with this config.

Mtnbkr, I sent you a PM

daevans315

Reaction score
How well does this work when switching from wifi to 3g or the other way around. I would assume that would result in a dropped call? Or is Sipdroid smart enough \ fast enough to do the call setup and handoff to the new IP when I drive out of my WIFI range when leaving my house?

OP
cellphonedork

cellphonedork

Reaction score
How well does this work when switching from wifi to 3g or the other way around. I would assume that would result in a dropped call? Or is Sipdroid smart enough \ fast enough to do the call setup and handoff to the new IP when I drive out of my WIFI range when leaving my house?

I have mine set up to only use WiFi. I have not placed a call on 3D or Edge. I'll play with that today and let you know.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score

I have mine set up to only use WiFi. I have not placed a call on 3D or Edge. I'll play with that today and let you know.

I got to the part where you have sipdroid connect to your sipsorcery account. I entered user and password info, went into sipsorcery account and not seeing anything in the sip bindings. Refresh does nothing. Do I have to set this up via wifi? I was setting this up via 3G on phone and at work.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
edit: looks like it works, but it is a little cooky... also not sure if it's routed correctly, but my sip number does forward to my mobile.

there is also about a 1 second delay... don't know if it's feasible to use for the long-term

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I got to the part where you have sipdroid connect to your sipsorcery account. I entered user and password info, went into sipsorcery account and not seeing anything in the sip bindings. Refresh does nothing. Do I have to set this up via wifi? I was setting this up via 3G on phone and at work.

use your sipsorcery info, not your sipgate info

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score

use your sipsorcery info, not your sipgate info

Oh got it thanks. I was using sip:sipgate.com as the server name instead of sipsorcery.com. I either read the instructions wrong or it wasn't clear what to put there.

deputc26

Reaction score
hmmm, when I call my sipgate number sipdroid is not ringing my phone, the only page I edited in sipdroid was the "sip account settings" page I put in my sipsorcery credentials and got a green light in the status bar but it doesn't ring to my sipgate number.

I have a provider and binding showing up in sipsorcery...

could it be because I'm currently in canada? no, because the whole point is free calls worldwide...

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
hmmm, when I call my sipgate number sipdroid is not ringing my phone, the only page I edited in sipdroid was the "sip account settings" page I put in my sipsorcery credentials and got a green light in the status bar but it doesn't ring to my sipgate number.

I have a provider and binding showing up in sipsorcery...

could it be because I'm currently in canada? no, because the whole point is free calls worldwide...

This is where I got hung up too. make sure within sipsorcery when you add the sip provider "sipgate" the user name and password is NOT your sipgate site login, it's from the settings in sipgate. Within sipgate settings, hover over the phone that says 'Phone of <Your Name>' and choose SIP credentials. Enter SIP-ID and Password you see here into sip sorcery. Should be random letters/numbers for both.

Once you do this, go back to sipgate settings like before and choose test phone. Mine was showing offline until if did this exact process.

This was a pretty convoluted process, but I think I got it to work. mostly. This did give me a headache, but I don't like not figuring things out once I start. One question: Outbound calls can only go to land lines? I tried calling my wife's Sprint number and she could hear me but I couldn't hear her.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
not sure lun3dav3... to be honest i really don't know if i set it up correctly... i have no idea if my phone really is routed from sipgate -> GV... the # does work, and i have registered successfully with sipsorcery

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Quick tip for those wanting to attempt this:
Read both sections in the google doc. The one that has the step by step and section 14 that has the screenshots. There are some important info in both that should have just been merged into one tutorial.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to try this setup out. My question is dealing with when you are placing calls and people are calling you. Do they just dial your number and it routes through GV to your phone, or you have to use the GV number that is created? Likewise when you call out what number is it going to reflect to the other person?

OP
cellphonedork

cellphonedork

Reaction score
Sorry about not being on here. I've been stuck in google apps hell with some clients.

I had it working, both inbound and outbound. At this point, I have only outbound working. Inbound routes to my cell via GV>Mobile.