[Tut] Milestone OC Application [Tut]

dredhead407

Reaction score
Thanks for the update bear.

@dredhead407
Like bear said it sounds like you didn't mount /system rewritable by toggling the "Mount R/W" option in Root Explorer prior to changing permissions.

Well I did but UD 3.0 was a roller coaster anyways. A few hours of stability and a few where my phone keeps vibrating after I pick up a call lol.

Sent with my super buff thumbs ;)

Hell Toupee

Reaction score
I flashed #41 and then the Reprimed kernel and everything was fine. About 6 hours later my phone went all laggy on me. I checked Setcpu and it no longer said 200 min 900 max. it defaulted back to 125-800 stock. i tried to reflash the kernel and it didnt take. I reflashed #41 again along with the Reprimed kernel and again I was good for a few hours and now it defaulted back to stock. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here and why it would take for a few hours but not stick ? I love the Reprimed ULV and 200 min 900 max along with compcache. that is another thing compcache would work for a while. Checked it in Setcpu and then when it reverted back to stock compcache also stopped working. Ideas anyone ?

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Hell,

That is a new one. It could be that a proper wipe is in order, but perhaps on the next rom install. In the mean time, perhaps try wiping your dalvik cache? And unless you have profiles in setcpu that you have to have, perhaps make sure that setcpu is not loading at boot, and try using just the CM settings to control the top, bottom and governor. And be sure to watch being plugged in. If you plug into usb, it will alter your slots.

Craig

dredhead407

Reaction score
What happened to the smartass governor that was causing a stir a little bit ago?

Sent with my super buff thumbs ;)

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Its a complex governor (hence the smart) and I have had terrible results using it thus far, I'm uncertain its actually worth the trouble but haven't given up on it yet.

It is extremely time consuming to build a kernel with features intended and built for a different kernel revision, the code isn't simply 'portable' because it relies on header files from a newer/different kernel revision along with missing source files. Difficult, agitating, slow and tedious, but rewarding when successful. Even though I've compiled hundreds of kernels over the years (mostly x86, arm, and mips32) I've rarely needed to add features and when I have its usually been by way of source patches. I have no patches, this is all being done by hand, but I work on it almost every day and make progress. I know how it is waiting for a new kernel to test, its one if the reasons why I do it myself. That and to add features or drivers I need for personal use. I hope to have something by Monday, this compcache/reprimed thing slowed me down yesterday but I'm determined to get something out that improves our Droid.

dredhead407

Reaction score
Its a complex governor (hence the smart) and I have had terrible results using it thus far, I'm uncertain its actually worth the trouble but haven't given up on it yet.

It is extremely time consuming to build a kernel with features intended and built for a different kernel revision, the code isn't simply 'portable' because it relies on header files from a newer/different kernel revision along with missing source files. Difficult, agitating, slow and tedious, but rewarding when successful. Even though I've compiled hundreds of kernels over the years (mostly x86, arm, and mips32) I've rarely needed to add features and when I have its usually been by way of source patches. I have no patches, this is all being done by hand, but I work on it almost every day and make progress. I know how it is waiting for a new kernel to test, its one if the reasons why I do it myself. That and to add features or drivers I need for personal use. I hope to have something by Monday, this compcache/reprimed thing slowed me down yesterday but I'm determined to get something out that improves our Droid.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what this governor is supposed to do?

What Motorola should say about the og droid, "At least we got it right the first time" lol

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The reason I like smartass is down clocking of the CPU on screen off.

Hell Toupee

Reaction score
Hell,

That is a new one. It could be that a proper wipe is in order, but perhaps on the next rom install. In the mean time, perhaps try wiping your dalvik cache? And unless you have profiles in setcpu that you have to have, perhaps make sure that setcpu is not loading at boot, and try using just the CM settings to control the top, bottom and governor. And be sure to watch being plugged in. If you plug into usb, it will alter your slots.

Craig

I did a complete wipe right around build 5 or 6, might need a refresh. I had Setcpu set to apply on boot so I disabled that and the profiles I had and the advanced was set to set on boot so I disabled that. Booted in to recovery wiped Dalvik cache and reflashed 41 and Reprimed kernel. Set CM to take care of top and bottom and set governor to on demand as I usually do. I didn't know about the usb thing but never plug it in. I always use wifi or dropbox for file transfers. Looks good so far. Thanks for the tips.

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Hell,

That sounds like exactly what I would have done. As to the USB, whenever you plug the phone in to charge (not just move files), the slots will default on the low end. Just a quirk with our Droids. So even if you have a 200 or 250 or 300 set, it might default to 400 while plugged in for power. That is all.

Craig

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I haven't looked at the charging daemon source but I believe it is supposed to set the minimum speed to 550mhz when charging to provide a smoother experience to stock devices. 550mhz being the stock Droid maximum CPU speed, if your slots aren't stock it will likely not be 550mhz while charging.

Hell Toupee

Reaction score
Ugh! Slots reset again. I have Setcpu basically disabled, nothing set to load on boot and no profiles set. I have CM set to handle cpu 200 min 900max with set on boot checked. Does this all sound correct. I am only using Setcpu to view if compcache is working. I am going to make a backup, do a total wipe and see if that fixes it. 9 times out of 10 it will I know. It seems when I put my phone in the charging cradle at night is when the slots reset. Going to wipe and reflash and see what happens. *crosses fingers*

Do I need the Milestone app to load the modules by chance ? I thought I read somewhere that with the new kernel it was just flash and go no other steps needed or did I misunderstand something along the way? Really I'm not a total noob lol and don't mean to be a PITA :)

Last edited:

itchn2go

Reaction score
anyone install nightly #8? I cannot get reprimed to use custom slots. I had it working on #7.

I did a wipe all including cache.

installed #8, gapps, and flashed reprimed kernel.

when i opened etc/int.d folder the 07overclock files are not there. I tried to copy my edited 07overclock file and run the script but it does not work. anyone have success?

Compcache is working.

itchn2go

Reaction score
just updated to build 11 same issue...

tried the 99overclock method that worked on 6.1.2 stable but it has not changed the overclock values

99overclock with permissions set to 750 was put in system/etc/int.d

ideas? or am i doing something wrong?

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
You folks running CM GB might want to check Prime's thread on his new kernel. He posted some new files and explainations that might help. Between that thread and the CM nightly you might get more help. I have been trying to stay up to speed on this thread with help on the original methodology, but the GB process is rather "evolving" right now, and is a bit muddled.

Craig

itchn2go

Reaction score
Thanks Craig. I jumped on De-Primed and ran the OC script. Testing now.

Ed

You folks running CM GB might want to check Prime's thread on his new kernel. He posted some new files and explainations that might help. Between that thread and the CM nightly you might get more help. I have been trying to stay up to speed on this thread with help on the original methodology, but the GB process is rather "evolving" right now, and is a bit muddled.

Craig