Turning Standard SMS Off

dyrelogan

Reaction score
I was curious. Is there a way to disable the standard SMS? I am using Handcent and I am receiving 2 notifications when a message comes in. One from the standard phone SMS and the other from Handcent. I have gone into the application settings and turned off standard SMS as my default but I am still getting messages there. Any help would be appreciated.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was curious. Is there a way to disable the standard SMS? I am using Handcent and I am receiving 2 notifications when a message comes in. One from the standard phone SMS and the other from Handcent. I have gone into the application settings and turned off standard SMS as my default but I am still getting messages there. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure, but you can turn notification off. Go into Messages app, makes sure you are in the main screen (not a message thread, but where it shows all threads). Click Menu>>>Settings>>>Received notifications Uncheck.

Close the Messages app.

I prefer to turn off the Handcent notification myself, because the stock app will give you the choice of opening the incoming message with Handcent or the stock app. But that is just my preference.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. That turned off the notifications just fine. Still receiving messages at the default location, but I guess I can delete that icon and disregard it. :)