trying to find the best t9 keyboard

cinciredsfan10

Reaction score
i really like the droid however i am trying to find the best t9 style keyboard to make texting with one hand easier. when the phone is vertical the buttons are fairly small and i would like to be able to use the old school t9 texting. what apps allow this the best?

Technoman

Reaction score
i really like the droid however i am trying to find the best t9 style keyboard to make texting with one hand easier. when the phone is vertical the buttons are fairly small and i would like to be able to use the old school t9 texting. what apps allow this the best?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I do not understand why you would buy a smartphone with a full hardware keyboard slider, and even want to use T9. I have never found T9 to be useful, and actually found it quite annoying. I am sure there are many APP's out there that have the ability to do T9 predictive, but there are many other keyboard options that make sending text messages, emails, or any other typing much easier than T9 ever will.

OP
C

cinciredsfan10

Reaction score
i understand what you are saying. i love using the qwerty style keyboard but when i'm just using one hand i would like to have the option of using t9 that's all

Technoman

Reaction score
i understand what you are saying. i love using the qwerty style keyboard but when i'm just using one hand i would like to have the option of using t9 that's all

Have you tried SWYPE, it is wonderful for single handed function and works VERY well. I had to remove it due to it's size and just having way too many APPS. It is not on the market, but there are several threads on here that have a link to download it. They say it is timed, but I had it going for several weeks and never lost function. There are also a couple of other similar APP's on the Market like SWYPE (Shapewriter and another that I can't recall at this time).

Give one a try... you might never want to use T9 ever again.

Those of us who like SWYPE are waiting for the developer to decide how he is going forward with this APP. The thought is that he is working for integration with the different phone makers instead of offering on the Market. Hopefully that will change.

OP
C

cinciredsfan10

Reaction score
i have not looked into them but i might later on. i just really like using t9 to text one handed that's all. using qwerty landscape is the best by far but when i am feeling lazy or if i am busy, one handed t9 would be beneficial to me.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those of us who like SWYPE are waiting for the developer to decide how he is going forward with this APP. The thought is that he is working for integration with the different phone makers instead of offering on the Market. Hopefully that will change.

That's the official word from the company (and it's a good size company not just a 'he'). You can find it in their discussion thread(s). So us Android users will at some point have to switch over to Shapewritter. It's been out for a while on the iPhone and has gotten pretty good reviews and reps but it's still rough on the Android OS right now (but they are working on it). These two won't be the only ones out for long though. There have been a few other companies and developers that are adopting the technology (it's actually based on IBM research from a WHILE ago so it's not exactly limited to one user, least at this time).

Technoman

Reaction score

That's the official word from the company (and it's a good size company not just a 'he'). You can find it in their discussion thread(s). So us Android users will at some point have to switch over to Shapewritter. It's been out for a while on the iPhone and has gotten pretty good reviews and reps but it's still rough on the Android OS right now (but they are working on it). These two won't be the only ones out for long though. There have been a few other companies and developers that are adopting the technology (it's actually based on IBM research from a WHILE ago so it's not exactly limited to one user, least at this time).

KZIWarrior, I wasn't meaning "HE" as in a single person. Wrong usage of the term, so I understand the correction. Most of the time (even in Large Corporations), there is a single person that makes decisions on how a product will be sold, price, and such. So that is the "HE" I was referring to.... :)

bhawks

Reaction score
I agree i would like a t9 keyboard also. The last phone I had was an lg dare and it had a texting mode called "word" and it worked great once the user dictionary built up. I have swipe and have tried a few other options but none have even came close to the speed I had with the dare

Technoman

Reaction score
I agree i would like a t9 keyboard also. The last phone I had was an lg dare and it had a texting mode called "word" and it worked great once the user dictionary built up. I have swipe and have tried a few other options but none have even came close to the speed I had with the dare

Several of the replacement keyboards have T9 included, I know I have seen it on one or more of them. If you have a replacement keyboard, hit the key to switch to the number option more than one time and it will cycle you through a few options. You just might find T9 in there. I know it is not on the stock keyboard.

OP
C

cinciredsfan10

Reaction score

Exactly. i am very fast on a t9 and it can sometimes be very convenient. I would like to find the best one with the best dictionary and if anyone can help that would be great.

Technoman

Reaction score

Exactly. i am very fast on a t9 and it can sometimes be very convenient. I would like to find the best one with the best dictionary and if anyone can help that would be great.

This one has the best ratings that I can see on the Market.. it is called EvenBetter Keyboard. You need a barcode reader to scan the QR code.
It is not free, but if buy it and don't like it (as long as you go to downloads and "uninstall" from there) it will refund your money. The refund is only if you uninstall within a 24 hour period.

Last edited:
OP
C

cinciredsfan10

Reaction score
well i bought it and so far so good. there are some weird word choices and small bugs but i think ill stick with it. thanks for the help. i would recommend it to others who like t9.