trouble with rom manager

JJTraxx

Reaction score
Hi all. New rooter here. I rooted my droid 1 with super one click and installed a custom rom. (Liquid frozen yogurt 1.95 watermark'd) my issue is getting into the clockworkmod recovery. I have flashed it version 2.5.0.1. If I try to just boot into recovery, my stock 3e recovery comes up. If I. Flash to sprecovery, I can get into that recovery. I would like to use the clockworkmod recovery, but can't consistently get into it. I did get into it to flash my rom and theme at the same time, but in trying to switch themes, I'm not having any luck. Also just rooted my wife's droid 1 the same way and would like to flash the same rom and theme together for her from the clockwork mod. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this seems to be a reoccurring issue with RM. I purchase RM so that I could assist other but I keep the alternate recovery, SPRecovery, installed. For me, SPR has been very reliable.

Others have had success by flashing SPR, CW, SPR, and CW.

Let us know if this rectifies your issue.

Mike

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Mike. As I mentioned, I am new to rooting. Since you use SP and it works for me, could you instruct me how I would flash both a rom and a theme for that rom together. I'm trying to put the liquid frozen yogurt 1.95 watermark'd on the wife's droid. I got them both flashed to mine, but must've gotten lucky when flashing through clockwork. If Not, that's ok. What did you mean in your reply by "cw". I know it's some kind of wipe, but barely know what I'm doing. I kow I can always flash back the backup, so I'm not too worried about trying things. Thanks again for the help.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Your problem isn't recovery; it's your bootloader. You didn't turn off the script that tells the bootloader to replace recovery with stock if it's a custom image. It's not ROM Manager, much as it galls me to say that.

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
Great guide. It's nice to see people genuinely into helping others out. How do I turn off the boot loader script.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You either have to punch it into terminal or flash it as an update.zip provided in link 2 of my signature. In order to flash it you have to flash recovery in RM, pull the battery as soon as it's done, and then boot DIRECTLY into recovery. Do not pass go, do not collect stock recovery. Flash it and you'll be good to go.

I have instructions to do it all from your phone if you're interested.

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
That would be great. I do have terminal emulator on the phone if that way is easier.

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
This is what I should do?

Nope. Follow these directions:

1)Download MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip from this location. http://bit.ly/MC1_CR_11
2)Open Astro and navigate to the download folder on your SD card. (Not downloads -- if you see an s on the end you’re looking at the wrong folder.)
3)Locate MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip and long-press it. Select edit. Select move. Back out one step to the root of your SD card -- NOT A FOLDER NAMED ROOT -- and press the menu softkey. Select edit. Select paste.
4)Locate MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip and long-press it. Select edit. Select rename. Rename update.zip. Press OK.
5)Open ROM Manager. Scroll to the bottom. Flash alternate recovery.
6)As soon as it's done, pull the battery.
7)Reinsert the battery, slide out the keyboard, press and hold X. Do not let go of that X till you’ve booted into recovery.
8)Power the phone up. Do not let go of that X till you’ve booted into recovery.
8.5)If the phone shows a triangle with a large ! in it then it’s stock recovery and you should attempt the steps 5-8 again. At this point you just need to flash recovery a few more times in ROM Manager before you can move on to step 11. ROM Manager doesn't always flash recovery correctly.
9)Using the d-pad, scroll down to the install options. Remember the screen is now in portrait mode, so right is down. Select it with the center of the d-pad.
10)Scroll to and then select “allow update.zip installation”.
11)Move down to and select “install update.zip (deprecated).
12)Press the Del key or the power button to back out.
13)Boot normally to verify that all is well.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Exactly. That's the phone-only directions. If you want to do it from a PC then you just modify appropriately, or follow link 2 in my signature. Or I can try to dig up the Terminal instructions, but that would take you less time than it would for me to find the instructions, most likely. :)

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
Thanks so much. This won't erase the rom or anything? I have to get to bed to get up @ 4 am for work. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Have a good night.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's technically designed to root your phone, but that's not a problem. What the main function of this procedure will be to turn off your RRS (recovery replacement system). It fixes your custom recovery image in memory so it'll be there whenever you reboot and you can flash whatever you want in there.

OP
J

JJTraxx

Reaction score
Ok, so after doing this I'll have to ref lash my rom and theme?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't recall saying anything about that. If I did, sorry, I was wrong. You won't have to do anything to your ROM, theme, kernel, software, hardware, hair style (though, really, mullets are SO out of fashion), or favorite breakfast cereal. :)