Transferring ringtones from SD Card to phone memory.

jst4fun

Reaction score
I have noticed that when recieving a phone call while the phone is hooked up to the laptop, my ringtone that is located on the SD card does not play because the SD card is not active while connected. Can I transfer the ringtone to the default location on the phones memory so that it will work even while connected to the computer?

GoGoSmarty

Reaction score
Transferring ringtones from SD Card to phone memory

Hey man, it look me 3 days but I figured out how to do it..

Here are the steps.

1. Create a folder on your SIM card via computer called Ringtones. I put mines in the folder called MEDIA.
2. After creating the folder dump the ringtones into it via copy and paste.
3. Go into marketplace and install a software called PANDAHOME
4. After you install this software, when you want to change your ringtone, thanks to PANDAHOME, you will be prompted with a popup that says "ANDROID SYSTEM" or "MY MUSIC".. If you select my music, it will point to your ringtones folder on your SIM card.

It took me 3 days to figure this out, but like everything else with the droid X, I came across this by mistake.

Hope this helps.

Elkay

Reaction score
If you're rooted you can use an app such as Root Explorer to move the ringtones/notifications/etc into their respective directories under /system/media/audio. Might take a reboot for the change to take effect.

Butthead007

Reaction score
I think he means micro sd card. CDMA phones do not use Sim cards. The only way to access internal phone storage is to root the phone.

OP
jst4fun

jst4fun

Reaction score
OK, so synced to the computer, when you get a phone call, the phone just rings that funky ring because it can't access the the contacts ringtone on the SD Card is this correct?

Crashpad

Reaction score
Hope thios helps, on my stock Droid X using the stock music player I found the media I wanted for ringtones and in the drop down menu I selected use as a ringtone. That process sett the media chosen into the ringtone folder on the base storage and viola usable and no longer dependent on being only on the Micro card.

OP
jst4fun

jst4fun

Reaction score
didn't work, still played the beep beep beep as a ringtone while phone is hooked up to the computer.

Metups

Reaction score
If you're rooted you can use an app such as Root Explorer to move the ringtones/notifications/etc into their respective directories under /system/media/audio. Might take a reboot for the change to take effect.

Thank you - worked like a charm!

Edit: btw, I had to change the permissions on the /system/media/audio directories to writeable. But that is easily done with Root Explorer...

Edit2: oh, no reboot was needed. System saw the new ringtone straightaway.

Last edited: