Transferring files from old micro to new micro?

Pegleg

Reaction score
When I got my MaxxHD VZW took the micro from my X and put it in the HD. It was only 16GB. I now want to put a 32GB or 64GB card in the HD. What is the best way to transfer what is on the old micro to the new one?

I have a good card reader so was thinking I would copy the existing data from the old card to my laptop using the card reader and then copy the data to the new card. Is there a better way? Also, are there any specifics in creating directories on the card...like one for MUSIC, one for VIDEOS, etc?

Thanks!

Lucas5

Reaction score
For now, I'd COPY the contents of your 16GB card to the internal memory of your phone since it has plenty of space. Once you get the 32 or the 64GB micro than MOVE those files to the new micro. As for the directories, I don't think that there are any specifics since your phone (ie: the Android OS) will scan for all multimedia files, but I always like to put my music, pictures, videos, etc.. into appropriately named directories for the sake of organization. It also makes it easier if you're using 3rd party music of video applications than need to be told where you're storing your music or video files.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just use my files, and copy the files, or move the files to you internal storage.. mark them so you know which is which... I put an E I front of the files when I rename them.. then when I move them, I rename and remove the e...

Make it easy, stuff all if your files in one folder and call it Esdcard...then move it to the new sdcar.. unpack all of the files.. lots easier this way...

OP
Pegleg

Pegleg

Reaction score
Should the new card be formatted in the phone or on pc and if so what type format? Also, if I don't want to transfer any files from the old card can I just insert the new 32gb card and start from there?

What is the difference between sdcard and external_sd/ in the file structure? This is confusing to mee.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
sdcard is the internal memory. external_sd is the removable sd card that you put in the phone.I would recommend transferring them to your computer and then from there to the new card. That's just how I would do it. You could do it to the phone too and then back to the new card but I wouldn't leave them on the internal memory. If it were me, I'd leave that room for apps and phone stuff but put everything else on the sd card. As for formatting, it shouldn't matter but I would recommend you leave it formatted with FAT32. You also shouldn't need to rename any files if you put them on the new external card.