touchscreen goes apeshiat

killick

Reaction score
Motorola Droid running 2.1 update1
I have removed all widgets except phone, messaging, browser, and email.

As I type this on my computer, my phone is screen side up on my table. On it's own, it launches the add to home screen, selects widgets, then selects calendar, and puts the calendar widget on my screen. It's like there's an invisible man pushing the buttons. :blink: This has happened while in other applications, too.

Sometimes, the touch screen does not react to my touch. If I lock the screen with the hardware button, then push the button and swipe to unlock, it will work FOR ONE TAP. Then I have to lock the screen, unlock, swipe, tap the screen. This is maddening. Re-booting has not helped. I cannot predict when this will happen.

Sometimes the screen will look like it's quivering-- on the edge of switching to the left of right side of the desktop, even though I'm not touching it at all. If I try to control it with the touchscreen, it does not react.

What is going on? Would a factory reset help? I've had this thing about a week- should I take it back?

Thanks,

killick

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
First of all, if it has not been said..... Welcome to the forums.

Yes, I would try a factory reset since you have already dumped all your apps. Then if the problem still persists I would take it back to Verizon since you have only had it a week. Was this a new phone or a refurb? Just curious.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
List all your apps/widgets you have installed (even if they are not currently on your homescreen)....perhaps after you downloaded an app you noticed the erratic behavior begin.

Any virus protection apps or task killers etc etc?

List all apps.

Rule out a bad app first because if you factory reset then reinstall the bad app(s) you will be back at square one.

edit: see below as well about the charger. There are known issues while charging not using an OEM charger

Droids

Reaction score
Is it plugged into a charger when doing this? A non-moto charger?

Darkseider

Reaction score
One question. Is your phone plugged in and charging while this is happening?

OP
killick

killick

Reaction score
I haven't seen this behavior while charging. I don't usually handle the phone while it's charging

Besides the stock applications, I have installed:

dpad -- for podcast feeds
enjoy sudoko -- a game
FBReader -- a ebook reader
Guitar Hero World Tour -- a game
Pandora -- music stream receiver
Password Safe -- to store passwords
Super Bustout -- a game

I did have Task Killer installed, but I uninstalled, thinking it may be to blame.

It's doing it again right now. It just opened my Contacts and selected a person. It may decide to call them. This is a weird kind of roulette! Is there an app for this? ha hah ha!

But seriously, anyone notice anything that would be out of order in my list here?

Thanks,

Killick

OP
killick

killick

Reaction score
Oh, and this was not a refurbished phone. Well, it was sold to me as new, but who's to say, right?

I did accidentally use the charger from my old env3 once. Just once.

All in favor of a reset say 'aye'! (then point me to a link that explains how to do that, please).

Thanks,

killick

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Factory reset is quick and relatively painless. That would be my first move before taking it to a vzw store.

2 ways to do it. Easy way is go to settings, privacy, factory reset data. If you can't do that due to the screen not responding the the second way is to boot into the recovery console. Power off the phone, power it back on while holding 'X' on physical keyboard. When the next screen loads press volume button up and camera button at the same time. Now you should have a menu with factory reset as an option. Use the d-pad to select it. Done.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Aye!!!!!!!! : )

See above for factory reset. Good luck

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Shelooga

Reaction score
dude your phone sounds .......... i have problems typing while charging on my screen. it presses things like 5 times. id call that going ape. and then i thank god its not the incrapible and i have a physical keyboard

OP
killick

killick

Reaction score
touchscreen woes continue

Thanks for the guidance gang, but this puppy is borked. I'm going to take it back to the VZW store for a new one. I did a factory reset and while I was trying to activate it, the dialpad started entering numbers randomly. I ended up re-setting my roaming before I could get it activated. Then later when I tried to use the calculator, it would pop in extra digits and refuse to let me press clear. It still tries to install widgets unasked, etc. Methinks this is a hardware problem.

Killick
:reddroid:

Droids

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance gang, but this puppy is borked. I'm going to take it back to the VZW store for a new one. I did a factory reset and while I was trying to activate it, the dialpad started entering numbers randomly. I ended up re-setting my roaming before I could get it activated. Then later when I tried to use the calculator, it would pop in extra digits and refuse to let me press clear. It still tries to install widgets unasked, etc. Methinks this is a hardware problem.

Killick
:reddroid:
Agree, if it's still doing that after a reset, time to replace, though it would almost be fun to see it doing all that on it's own, if it wasn't driving you crazy.