Touchdown vs Moxier

Thepunkinator

Reaction score
Ok, so I use my Droid for my corporate email and calendar as well as personal use. I agree with what everyone had said about the default email app's handling of exchange: it's sorely lacking.

So I tried Touchdown. First off, it has good features (at least the ones I need), seems laid out ok from a ui/menu perspective and is reliable. Two things though turned me off. First is the cost. Ouch that thing is expensive but I suppose you are paying for features not found all in one place in any other app. Two is the UI. Come on guys, for that amount of cash at least make a small attempt at a UI. I mean really! Believe it or not in the end, I had to quit using Touchdown because I couldn't abide the UI. Let's not even mention the garish looking widget! Yes call me stupid or whatever but the UI is important to me especially when paying that kind of cash.

So I searched and came across Moxier. My first thought? Holy crap its more expensive than Touchdown! I looked around, read some reviews, researched and it seemed to have what I wanted, including the UI. I bit the bullet and bought it figuring I have a 24 hour return period. All I can say is, yes! I'm very happy so far. Set up is just as easy, stability is good, features I need are there and they work (GAL lookup for example). Best of all is the UI. It looks like it's built for a Droid. It's sleek and laid out well and the widget is functional and informative.

So I know it is kind of weird reading this and thinking that I put most of my criteria on the UI, but, in reality the two apps were close enough in features that that's what it came down to.

So if you are looking at an exchange client and have looked at Touchdown, you may want to look at Moxier as well. True, there is no trial period but if you're diligent about your 24 hour return policy then you shouldn't have a problem if you hate it.

Not really a review but just wanted to shared some experiences.

Droidnotberry

Reaction score
Ok, so I use my Droid for my corporate email and calendar as well as personal use. I agree with what everyone had said about the default email app's handling of exchange: it's sorely lacking.

So I tried Touchdown. First off, it has good features (at least the ones I need), seems laid out ok from a ui/menu perspective and is reliable. Two things though turned me off. First is the cost. Ouch that thing is expensive but I suppose you are paying for features not found all in one place in any other app. Two is the UI. Come on guys, for that amount of cash at least make a small attempt at a UI. I mean really! Believe it or not in the end, I had to quit using Touchdown because I couldn't abide the UI. Let's not even mention the garish looking widget! Yes call me stupid or whatever but the UI is important to me especially when paying that kind of cash.

So I searched and came across Moxier. My first thought? Holy crap its more expensive than Touchdown! I looked around, read some reviews, researched and it seemed to have what I wanted, including the UI. I bit the bullet and bought it figuring I have a 24 hour return period. All I can say is, yes! I'm very happy so far. Set up is just as easy, stability is good, features I need are there and they work (GAL lookup for example). Best of all is the UI. It looks like it's built for a Droid. It's sleek and laid out well and the widget is functional and informative.

So I know it is kind of weird reading this and thinking that I put most of my criteria on the UI, but, in reality the two apps were close enough in features that that's what it came down to.

So if you are looking at an exchange client and have looked at Touchdown, you may want to look at Moxier as well. True, there is no trial period but if you're diligent about your 24 hour return policy then you shouldn't have a problem if you hate it.

Not really a review but just wanted to shared some experiences.

Touchdown works great, and I've never had a problem with it, but I agree the UI isnt great. Does Moxier have any widgets available? I do like the calendar widget for touchdown.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I have to agree on the UI thing with Touchdown.

For all that the native Exchange client is missing, it is a really clean interface. I also really like the combined inbox. In fact, I like the combined inbox so much that I find my self not using Touchdown unless I need to search or file something in another folder.

I'll have to take a look at Moxier again, but I recall there being some reason that Touchdown won originally.

Droidnotberry

Reaction score

For all that the native Exchange client is missing, it is a really clean interface. I also really like the combined inbox. In fact, I like the combined inbox so much that I find my self not using Touchdown unless I need to search or file something in another folder.

I'll have to take a look at Moxier again, but I recall there being some reason that Touchdown won originally.

I just looked over Moxier and in my opinion it looks a lot nicer than Touchdown, tons of options etc. The only deal breaker for me is that it doesnt do HTML mail unless you are running Exchange 2007. We run Exchange 2003, and I get HTML mail using touchdown. We are upgrading our mail server in about a month, once we do I plan on giving Moxier a try. It looks to me that it does everything that I wish I could do on Touchdown. If they had HTML working on Exchange server 2003 I would buy it today.

OP
Thepunkinator

Thepunkinator

Reaction score

I just looked over Moxier and in my opinion it looks a lot nicer than Touchdown, tons of options etc. The only deal breaker for me is that it doesnt do HTML mail unless you are running Exchange 2007. We run Exchange 2003, and I get HTML mail using touchdown. We are upgrading our mail server in about a month, once we do I plan on giving Moxier a try. It looks to me that it does everything that I wish I could do on Touchdown. If they had HTML working on Exchange server 2003 I would buy it today.

Yeah I'm on 2007 so I get full HTML as well. Like I said in my OP it may be very slight but the UI won this one. For the features I use, they both do a fine job.

I think there was an issue with it updating your calendar in a push fashion (and tasks) but in this version that's evidently been fixed. I seem to be receiving updates to my calendar just fine.

Touchdown for android 2.0 is the best there is for corperate mail

That's a very broad statement that unfortunately I can't agree with. Given the features I need and the fact that both apps have them and perform them well it would seem for me there was no "best". The UI won out in the end though for simple look and feel and ease of use.

Does Moxier have any widgets available?

Yeah Moxier has a widget that is about 4x2. It has 3 tabs at top: mail, cal, tasks. Underneath, depending on which tab is selected is the most current 3 items. If you touch the items you are taken to that part of the app. For example, the widget shows current 3 emails, touching the email will take you to the respective folder in the main client. It also has a decent skin to it that would match most themes I would guess.

Anyway guys, I'm not associated with this thing in any way but just wanted to pass along some thoughts and maybe an alternative for those looking around for an exchange client that didn't like Touchdown's interface.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does Moxier handle contacts? Does it have its own? Can it use the phone's contacts? Can you disable contacts sync and use only the phone contacts?

Touchdown for android 2.0 is the best there is for corperate mail
Best is always subjective -- no matter what the topic is. The OP stated that one of his/her top criteria was the UI design. It may not be your top concern but that illustrates why best is subjective.

Please at least qualify what you mean by best to add to the discussion. There may be aspects of Touchdown that others would find better than the other options but a blanket statement like that doesn't really help those considering the options.

Additionally, while Exchange tends to be used in the corporate world, it doesn't automatically mean that it's corporate by definition. Government, educational institutions, small businesses and even individuals (like me) use Exchange as well.

I can't recall all the reasons why I selected Touchdown but one of them was the custom email notifications. I haven't looked at Moxier but I'll have to check it out. The screenshots on their site look good.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Moxier does look pretty good, but it still won't do a combined inbox with POP or Gmail accounts like the native. Oh well.

keezyrick

Reaction score
Moxier has a huge drawback IMO. The contacts sync is great but it is not visible to the internal contact db for the phone. You don't get CallerID or dial a contact cability from the Phone app for contacts in Moxier.

From developers website forum
Can we sync our Contacts with internal Contacts?
Moxier Team Feb 04
In order to sync contacts internally, "Android sources" must be altered. However, at this time, altering "Android sources" is not possible. Once it is available, we plan on integrating it.

I left a comment that Touchdown has always been capable of doing this so why is it that Moxier (which is far superior in many other ways) not capable of this?

I hope they focus on resolving this. I think the price is well worth it if this feature becomes available.

Also the widget is nice, but I would like to see it respond to choices in setup. if I don't have Tasks checked for sync, why the hell would I want it to appear in the widget? It is always going to be blank and yet there it is in the widget.

OP
Thepunkinator

Thepunkinator

Reaction score
Moxier has a huge drawback IMO. The contacts sync is great but it is not visible to the internal contact db for the phone. You don't get CallerID or dial a contact cability from the Phone app for contacts in Moxier.

From developers website forum
Can we sync our Contacts with internal Contacts?
Moxier Team Feb 04
In order to sync contacts internally, "Android sources" must be altered. However, at this time, altering "Android sources" is not possible. Once it is available, we plan on integrating it.

I left a comment that Touchdown has always been capable of doing this so why is it that Moxier (which is far superior in many other ways) not capable of this?

I hope they focus on resolving this. I think the price is well worth it if this feature becomes available.

Also the widget is nice, but I would like to see it respond to choices in setup. if I don't have Tasks checked for sync, why the hell would I want it to appear in the widget? It is always going to be blank and yet there it is in the widget.

Yeah that's weird. I'm like you in that I would have thought that was a no brainer. Oh well, like you say maybe they'll pop it in the next version. I also agree the widget could be more dynamic based on choices although I'm lucky because I use tasks also.

Honestly I'm just happy apps like this are maturing. Hopefully that price comes down too!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Checked out Moxier but had to return it. For me, the lack of custom notifications (I only need email alerts for email from certain contacts) and the 30 day mail sync limitation were dealbreakers.

The UI was better looking than Touchdown's though, IMO.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
As alternative for an Exchange client, you might wish to check out the Work Email app hacked out (by xda developers) of the Magic/MyTouch. It's free and supports: html email, signatures, folders, attachments, etc. This functionally does the job of the native Corp Email client while allowing use of the native Contacts and Corp Calendar app.

In addition to configuring the Work Email client, I still have my ... Menu/Accounts & sync/Corporate account set up as follows (under Account settings):

General Settings:
-Email check frequency - Automatic (Push)
-Amount to synchronize - One day

Notification settings - nothing checked

I also Calender and Contacts selected to sync

More information is available here. Or download via UPC:
mail-qr.png