Touch screen tracking issue

danwanna

Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to have to exchange my D2 tomorrow. I have had lots of screen weirdness off and on but I finally thought to download a few drawing apps and test out how it tracks my finger.

When I hold my phone in and slide my finger quickly from edge to edge in a program like DrawPad (like changing home screens) the line jumps to the top or the bottom of the screen. It is much worse near the charging port, but it happens in other locations as well.

Hopefully they don't give me any trouble with the exchange since this phone was a replacement for a D1. I should be able to demonstrate it working as designed on the demo phone to show that it isn't the app. It works great on my wife's Eris.

gbregaglio

Reaction score
Is this a common issue that is overlooked? This problem emerged on my Droid 1 after the 2.2 updated. I also used the draw pad and other drawing applications just as you did and the lines randomly jumped around when I moved my finger back and forth at the bottom of the screen. I was also able to replicate the problem with all of the replacement phones. Verizon eventually gave me a Droid 2 as a replacement, but unfortunately, this I am having the same issue with the Droid 2.

Yesterday evening, I took my phone into the store. After the representative performed a system reset, we were able to duplicate the problem. The same thing happened with their display models. This is very disappointing, because it seems that all the Droids running 2.2 have this issue.

OP
D

danwanna

Reaction score
The issue was still present on my replacement phone as well, but it isn't nearly as bad. I've found that it mostly happens when I start my swipe horizontally from the raised edge of the screen and go all the way across to the other side very quickly. If I go just it bit slower or start away from the edge it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often. It never (that I've noticed) happens when I am moving vertically.

Oddly enough, the woman at the Verizon store could not reproduce it when she tried doing the same thing as me. She actually said that I was swiping it wrong at one point and I asked her if she just transfered from AT&T. She laughed and I think that is why she let me do the exchange.

I never noticed it happening on my D1...

ecnahc

Reaction score
i've been through about 5 droid 1s [don't ask], and now i have a droid 2.
i can say that i've had this issue with every single device, running 2.2 or not.

in my experience it's been extremely sporadic. i cannot ever randomly reproduce the issue, but every now and again the screen would bug out.
in worse case scenarios, if i unlocked the phone and let the homescreen sit, sometimes the notification window would drop down like i touched it, or an app would open randomly.
in the average scenario, it would act just as you described.

i've tried a few things in an effort to avoid this, but it's seemingly unavoidable.
i've rebooted
i've cleaned the screen thoroughly
i've taken a q-tip to the inside of the earpiece and around the edge of the screen

chezzeman

Reaction score
I havent really noticed it, but i tried it with a paint app and it did the same thing on my droid 2. seems common