Torn between Apple and Google

m3kilpat

Reaction score
I feel like I'm in an odd type of limbo place and wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way. The issue is that most people seem to either be Apple fanboys or die hard droid/pc users. I am neither. Before the Droid came out I wanted an iphone but didn't want to switch to ATT. Had the iphone come out for Verizon earlier I would have bought it without question. Then the Droid came out and it looked and is amazing. The hard part is that I'm a recent Mac convert. Just bought my first Macbook Pro last summer and I absolutely love it. I love what Apple is doing. So now I am a Mac user with a Droid. I know there are others out there, but do any of you feel like your in this weird sort of place? I mean, yes, I like customization, but I also like Apple's stability and design. Am I an Apply fanboy who happens to have a Droid or am I a Droid fan who happens to have a Mac? Maybe neither, maybe both.

mach330

Reaction score
i might be in the minority here. i love apple products, but i dont hate everything else. the only reason why i hate iphone is at&t. android offered me what i needed in the cell phone world. i just love great products.

iPirate

Reaction score
I hate Apple products. The people that I have seen pick Apple products are ignorant about technology and simply buy the product to fit in.

This probably doesn't go for everyone, but fits 100% for the people I have seen with an iPhone, don't complain about my observation please. :)

OP
m3kilpat

m3kilpat

Reaction score
i might be in the minority here. i love apple products, but i dont hate everything else. the only reason why i hate iphone is at&t. android offered me what i needed in the cell phone world. i just love great products.

That's pretty much how I feel in less words.

zakany

Reaction score
emotions

Where was the selection, "I don't use emotions when making technical decisions?"

Big Lou

Reaction score
I didn't see a Google Fanboy option... I don't hate Apple, though I hate many of its consumers.

soyboy

Reaction score
I am an apple user that doesn't want to be on AT&T. I waited for VZW to come up with a phone like the Droid instead of switching. Glad I waited. To me it's no big deal. As I also use Google email, Cal, Docs etc. etc., so other than itunes, the Droid works out great. As to music, I use Doubletwist to move my music from my mac to the Droid, works great. I am very happy with my Droid, but I also like the iphone. I think a lot of folks get WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to hung up about this stuff.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I didn't see a Google Fanboy option... I don't hate Apple, though I hate many of its consumers.

agreed.

Apple fanboys have a certain smugness about them. Really gives a bad image to Apple owners. Of course Android fanboys aren't making things look any better either.

trickhog

Reaction score
I think you can exist in both worlds. I work on Macs, and at home I own 3 Macs, plus my wife has a Mac laptop and uses an iPod touch as her PDA. They do the things I need them to do really well and I have no desire to switch back to PCs because Apple meets my needs.

However, AT&T does not. I used to have AT&T wireless service and it was a constant problem. And everything I've read tells me it hasn't changed in the years since I left them for Verizon. So yes, I'm also one of those people who would have bought an iPhone if it was on Verizon.

But I did get a Motorola Droid, and so far I really, really like it. And I've managed to find ways to make my Droid and Google synchronize and work perfectly with my Apple Mac world. In face, I think when I have the time, I'll create a Droid and Apple in Harmony thread where I detail how to achieve sync bliss between the two.

But back to the original question - I think you use what works for you. And if that means Apple/Macintosh computer products and Google/Android phone products, then that's perfectly fine....

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Mac user here, using Droid because iPhone is not available on VZW. I had ATT and 2 iPhones on family plan. Because of personal reasons I had to switch to VZW. I like the Droid but am afraid if/when iPhone comes I will be getting that.

ggpike

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. To me computers / phones are simply tools to get a job done. I'm a co-owner of a design firm, and we use mac's because that is what most of the industry uses and what is necessary . . . I love their products and have not had many issues with them, but then again I never had many issues with machines running windows either.

I enjoy Apple's products but stop short of calling myself an Apple fan because of how many of them act. I love the Droid and the Android OS and am completely happy with my experience. The iphone to me embodies the worst of a brand obsession. It's a great phone, but it has its shortcomings just like every other piece of technology. When people start getting mad when what they're obsessed with comes under any kind of scrutiny, it really shows their unwillingness to be objective or open to new ideas or ways of thinking. Unfortunately this smugness / superiority complex becomes the generalization, and in turn eventually erodes the brand. That's why I get what works for me or what is necessary, and don't base my choices on trends.

If the iphone were on Verizon I might consider it based on the fact that Verizon (in my area) is the superior network and I've been with them for years. But I would only consider it if it fit into my needs. My business uses Google Apps for our email, so the Droid / Android OS fits our needs of Google integration. We've had such a great experience with this that we will probably stick with the Google and Android OS partnership.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I've been a Mac owner for YEARS... have the MacBook Pro currently. Would've loved to have gotten the iPhone, but ATT service in my area stinks and VZW's is consistently strong. I love having the Droid and for all intensive purposes, it works smoothly with my MBP.

Coming from a BlackBerry (Pearl) where I had to wait until this past Fall to finally get a (poor) semblance of a desktop manager for my BB???? The Droid is superior hands down!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an iMac running Snow Leopard. I don't like AT&T and I have a Droid. They do work well together, you just got to learn how to make them work and it's not that hard. I also have Windows installed on my Mac for those areas that don't want to deal with Mac.

Guurzak

Reaction score
I like whatever company makes the products that do what I need them to do.

If VZW had the iPhone, I'd probably have gotten one. But they didn't, I didn't, the Droid came out and I'm very happy with it.

I suspect that over the years to come I'm going to be pleased that that's the way things turned out. I think it's likely that iPhone vs Android will be a replay of the Mac vs PC wars: Apple's elegant but closed environment versus the energy and creativity of the open market. I would not at all be surprised to see iPhone purchases down to 10% of the new smartphone market in five years.

OP
m3kilpat

m3kilpat

Reaction score
I'm glad to see many of the posters in this thread are realistic about things. I 100% agree that people should use what works for them and that people need to be more open.

Thanks for the replies everyone.