[TOOL] How to Upgrade/Downgrade Your Verizon Note 3’s Modem/Radio

KaChow

Reaction score
I am not responsible for what you do with your phone neither is DroidForums.net, it's your phone, you own it... :biggrin:

First and foremost you do not need Root to do this.

Anyone that has a Verizon Note 3 can use these instructions to either Upgrade or Downgrade their Radio (this is firmware that works with the Verizon Note 3 ONLY.) By means of Modem/Radio, I’m referring to the software that your Note 3 uses to connect the Verizon Towers. What I’ve noticed and perhaps many of you have noticed as well, some of these updates have improved the radio while others have decreased the performance, such as the KitKat NC2 version for those of us that have Root. A simple flash of a new or earlier Radio can create all the difference in the world. Or, if the new stock NC4 KitKat version’s Radio is not that great perhaps flashing back to MJE could be a good idea. Keep in mind the only thing changing here is the Radio, this does not change the ROM, the current system ROM will remain the same.

1) To proceed further, you will need a Windows based computer ideally running XP or greater to download Odin V3.09, download here , right click and extract the contents to the desktop of your computer.
2) Take your device and turn it off, completely turn it off.
3) Select the radio that you would like to try, I will list each of these from the earliest
a. MI9
b. MJ7
c. MJE
d. NC2
e. NC4
4) Make sure the Radio downloads into a folder that is easy to locate (no need to unzip these ready to go)
5) Go to your Desktop, find Odin, right click and select Run as Administrator on it (the below Screen should appear)
6) Pick up your device that is Off. Hold the Volume down (-) button, then hold the Home button, then hold the Power button. This will put your Device into Odin Mode, (DO NOT CANCEL) Go ahead and press the Volume Up (+) to Continue.
7) At this time and this time only take a USB cable and plug into your computer and then plug it into your device. Wait a few minutes for connection.
8) Next on your computer screen in Odin mode click on check box next to the AP button, then click on the AP button and a Browse feature will open, and search for the complete name of the modem/radio that you downloaded. Once it is found click on it, to select it, once it appears in the appropriate area, it will load and prepare to get ready for installation, go ahead and select the start button when ready to install. Screen should resemble the below.

9) The Modem/Radio will download and install on your device, just leave your device plugged in. Once, your device Reboots you may unplug and remove.
10) Congratulations, success! Go to Settings-> About phone-> Scroll down to “baseband” and the correct Modem/Radio will be listed there. I also, like to make a note of the PRL, which if you go into Settings-> About phone-> Status-> scroll down to PRL version you should have a 5 digit number like “15310” (I’m using the MJ7 radio) PRL is your Preferred Roaming List, usually each new modem has a range of new PRL’s, of course everything varies.. Of course you can also hit *#0011# to see if you in an (1700 Frequency)LTE Band 4 area or in the common (700 frequency) Band 13 area.
11) I do recommend if you change modem/radio’s give the new radio at least a day before trying another, see what works best, and again you can always flash back.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nice.. Thank you sir.. I'd like to check the new radio out.. Flashing it tonight

N3 tap

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Will definitely flash this latest modem and see how it stacks up against previous modems.
THANKS!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jsandy

Reaction score
I'm rooted on the leaked NC2. I flashed the NC4 modem last night (w/o any problems) but so far have not seen any appreciable change. Does anyone have a "feel" for whether there is a "best" modem. Thanks.

dougdirt

Reaction score
I'm rooted on the leaked NC2. I flashed the NC4 modem last night (w/o any problems) but so far have not seen any appreciable change. Does anyone have a "feel" for whether there is a "best" modem. Thanks.

For me the NC2 modem blew chunks and went back to 4.3 because of it. Then I found this thread and went back to 4.4 and odin'd the MJE modem and I am one happy fella now. Stayin on KitKat for sure. Great battery life too.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I'm using NC4, been so for about the past week. MJE and NC4 are my two favorites at this point. From the counter NC4 is the most popular among users according to the number of downloads.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Could those that have tried the NC2 and NC4 provide feedback if the NC4 was an improvement? Thnx!!!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Any updates on how the new radio is working out??

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Gonna try flashing tonight.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Flashed mje and saw an instant improvement

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Good to know J, thanks for the update!

Any other takers?

Big Cam

Reaction score
I'm tempted as I love having the newest of everything, but my signal is fine and I pull great speeds so I'm leary.