Too Sensitive!!

uma

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today. My first ever smartphone. Love it, but it's overly sensitive.

For instance:
1. I scrolled through contacts and somehow mingled names and numbers. Now my friend is named someone else and has someone elses phone number to boot.
2. I selected youtube for a widget and can't dump it! One click or even a hover and a drag towards the bottom should delete it according to the simulator. Ha! Try that with MY droid! I also can't drag it to another screen. It OPENS to youtube whenever I get close to it.
3. Hovering, not even touching, just hovering, will hit a keyboard letter.

How do I change the sensitivity???

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no way to adjust sensitivity on the Droid. I would take it to a VZW store... may just be a bad touch screen. This is not normal behavior.

Not sure if a factory reboot would help.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
yea i would take it in. ive never seen any of the issues with mine in the month ive had it

Technoman

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today. My first ever smartphone. Love it, but it's overly sensitive.

For instance:
1. I scrolled through contacts and somehow mingled names and numbers. Now my friend is named someone else and has someone elses phone number to boot.
2. I selected youtube for a widget and can't dump it! One click or even a hover and a drag towards the bottom should delete it according to the simulator. Ha! Try that with MY droid! I also can't drag it to another screen. It OPENS to youtube whenever I get close to it.
3. Hovering, not even touching, just hovering, will hit a keyboard letter.

How do I change the sensitivity???

Sensitivity? Of what? I have no idea what you may have done in contacts.. never have had that happen, nor heard of it happening.

In order to dump "trash" a shortcut, Link, or any homescreen link, you have to LONGPRESS the offending link till it vibrates, then slide it down to the trashcan (middle of the drawer at the bottom) till it turns red and then release.

Dragging to a different screen is done much the same way, but you have to slide it sideways and really press hard to get it to change screens (mine changes 2 screens quite often).

Never had the "hovering" problem, but that could be in your body makeup versus mine....

It takes time to learn this touch screen over what you may have used in the past. Give it time, and once you get it figured out you will love it.

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it in for a looksee. It's a 65 mile drive one way. This sucks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it in for a looksee. It's a 65 mile drive one way. This sucks.
Eek. Don't envy you, but what you're describing sounds like it might (loosely believed) be hardware.
You can save yourself some hassle and do a factory reset. Chances are the VZW tech will try that before they replace your Droid (provided there is an issue).

Last edited:
OP
U

uma

Reaction score
:::blush:::: I wasn't holding it down for drag. That problem solved quickly. Thanks!
Now, just a few problems remaining. I feel better already.

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
I'll call first, see if the Vrz guy can reset... fix ... by phone first like suggested. Thanks!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:::blush:::: I wasn't holding it down for drag. That problem solved quickly. Thanks!
Now, just a few problems remaining. I feel better already.
Good. 1 of 3 down.

1. Are you using Facebook by any chance? There have been issues with Facebook merging contacts.
Have you logged onto your G-mail account to manage your contacts, and then sync your Droid with g-mail contacts? (disable g-mail sync on Droid before you edit your contacts on g-mail, then enable g-mail sync when contacts are in order).

3. The touch screen registers electrical contact (ie your finger)... maybe you're just high voltage??

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll call first, see if the Vrz guy can reset... fix ... by phone first like suggested. Thanks!
There are great step-by-steps here in the forum how to do a factory reset. It's very simple.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2071-how-hard-reset-your-motorola-droid.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/572-manual-reset-instructions.html

There are apps to back up your data/applications/settings (ie MyBackupPro)
... as a factory reset will 'wipe' your phone clean (like it came out of the box) and a back up app can save you the hassle of having to download all your apps again manually.

Last edited:
OP
U

uma

Reaction score
I am high voltage come to think of it. Can't even enjoy the one armed bandits in Reno unless I wear rubber boots and gloves lol.

Another one of the symtoms was selecting an icon such as messaging (green spongebob) and getting maps instead.

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
Easy step by step instructions here in the forum? I'll go search. Thanks!!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easy step by step instructions here in the forum? I'll go search. Thanks!!
I put them in the post above your last two for you!

Just remember, factory reset/hard reset will wipe all your data, settings, etc to the condition your phone was when you took it out of the box.

If you want to back up your applications you might want to get a backup application. If you don't mind setting your Droid back up from scratch then don't worry about it! Good luck!

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
:::blush::: You sure did! I don't know why I didn't notice them the first time. Reading too fast in hyper scared/worried mode I guess. My apologies!

We did the Backup Assistant thing. Will that work again?