Too Many Photos Kills Gallery. Permanently.

Leeds

Reaction score
I decided to load a ton of old pictures onto my droid's SD card. It was a stupid idea in hindsight but it seemed like a cool thing at the time- imagine having several gigs of personal pictures at your fingertips all the time...

Now here's the kicker, the very next time I went into Gallery it said "Loading" and never, ever got past that. It actually force closed itself several times.

I then got the bright idea to delete the pictures back off the SD card. This worked smoothly as you might imagine, but when I unmounted the SD card and went back into the gallery the problem is still there, it still force closes itself. Every time.

Is there some cache that I can clear out, or am I totally up the creek here? I found the thumbnail folder and deleted them, but that didn't solve the issue.

I'm completely screwed here, all because this damn Gallery program can't handle the files that don't even exist anymore!!!

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I fear that I'm in for a hard reset or worse just to be able to view a damn photo ever again.

TIA.

*Droid running 2.1 not modded or rooted.*

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I decided to load a ton of old pictures onto my droid's SD card. It was a stupid idea in hindsight but it seemed like a cool thing at the time- imagine having several gigs of personal pictures at your fingertips all the time...

Now here's the kicker, the very next time I went into Gallery it said "Loading" and never, ever got past that. It actually force closed itself several times.

I then got the bright idea to delete the pictures back off the SD card. This worked smoothly as you might imagine, but when I unmounted the SD card and went back into the gallery the problem is still there, it still force closes itself. Every time.

Is there some cache that I can clear out, or am I totally up the creek here? I found the thumbnail folder and deleted them, but that didn't solve the issue.

I'm completely screwed here, all because this damn Gallery program can't handle the files that don't even exist anymore!!!

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I fear that I'm in for a hard reset or worse just to be able to view a damn photo ever again.

TIA.

*Droid running 2.1 not modded or rooted.*

How many is a ton? I have a few hundred on mine. First time I load up gallery every time on a new rom gallery dies..I reboot and then its fine.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Menu, settings, applications, then go to gallery, might be a cache setting to clear.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trash the gallery. Do a battery pull for a full 30 seconds. Watch gallery reappear and see if it works. :)

OP
L

Leeds

Reaction score
Pulling the battery does nothing.

Clearing the data via Menu->Settings->Applications->Gallery does nothing.

From an image perspective, my droid is DOA at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Any more?

OP
L

Leeds

Reaction score
FIXED!!!!!

I had to boot the phone without the SD card in it. Then I went to Gallery and it was able to launch, although all it said was that there was no SD card in it.

Then I pulled the battery again and put the card back in. On the next boot I went to the gallery and it had reset itself and now looked for the remaining pictures, found them and acted normally.

Yay!

Thanks for the help & suggestions guys. Hopefully this thread will help others out in the future.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Good thing that got solved! I was gonna start putting all the foot pictures I snapped of my gf on the phone, build a portfolio so I can seduce strangers into on-the-spot candid shots. :icon_ rocker: