too many kernel choices!

hakaida

Reaction score
What are most of you running? I installed a 250-1250 standard voltage kernel and it's stable and fast. Only problem is that it burns through my battery so fast.

I was thinking of switching to a 250-1000 lv or increasing voltage kernel. Umm..what does a increasing voltage kernel do exactly? Does it start low and go higher as needed?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are most of you running? I installed a 250-1250 standard voltage kernel and it's stable and fast. Only problem is that it burns through my battery so fast.

I was thinking of switching to a 250-1000 lv or increasing voltage kernel. Umm..what does a increasing voltage kernel do exactly? Does it start low and go higher as needed?

A 1Ghz Lv kernel is usually enough to handle everything you throw at it, and I have no problem with battery life, so I would do that first. Also, do you have and profiles set up in setCPU, or are you using a performance or interactive gorvernor? Both can eat through battery like crazy.

And IV kernel is a kernel which has the low voltages of a low voltage kernel at low clock speed, and increases higher as the clock speed increase. This is to help those who need the higher voltages to get the higher clock speeds, but want to try to save some battery by having the low voltage for the lock clock speeds while idling.

Hope this helps!

OP
H

hakaida

Reaction score

A 1Ghz Lv kernel is usually enough to handle everything you throw at it, and I have no problem with battery life, so I would do that first. Also, do you have and profiles set up in setCPU, or are you using a performance or interactive gorvernor? Both can eat through battery like crazy.

And IV kernel is a kernel which has the low voltages of a low voltage kernel at low clock speed, and increases higher as the clock speed increase. This is to help those who need the higher voltages to get the higher clock speeds, but want to try to save some battery by having the low voltage for the lock clock speeds while idling.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. That's a great response. I have setcpu and was looking at other threads on profiles so I was going to set that up later today after going through all of the info.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good idea. Profiles can save your phone from overheating and underclock the phone while your phone is sleeping.

To learn more about overclocking, i highly suggest reading this thread here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

This great thread written by a great guy gives a lot of information to take it, but it is easily one of the best written and knowledge packed threads on the forum. Hope you take some time to read up on it :)