Tivo app for Droid

sbmcd

Reaction score
Need some advice setting up the Tivo app for the Motorola Droid. Can't seem to get the app to find my Tivo. Can anyone specify exactly what information is needed about the router: name and ip address? Thanks in advance. sbmcd

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Tivo Remote app? I did not think there was a normal Tivo app available.

OP
S

sbmcd

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Tivo Remote app? I did not think there was a normal Tivo app available.

Yes, I found a Tivo app for the series3 Tivos. To set it up, it needs the name of the Tivo, and its ip address. I know I have the correct ip address, but maybe the name is incorrect. I've tried "sbmcd" which is what the settings menu on my Tivo says is its name, I've tried the 15 character service ID for the Tivo, and nothing seems to work. Could it be a simple matter of rebooting the router and Tivo to get the app to recognize it? That seemed to have worked for the i.tv app on my itouch.

Sleeve

Reaction score
If you've got the right options set on the TiVo (Messages & Settings > Settings > Remotes, Cable Card, & Devices > Network Remote Control), then the Tivo Remote app will find your Tivos automatically. I have three on my network and it found them all without any of the fuss you describe. Just to be sure we're talking about the same app, I use the one written by Tim Hoeck called TivoRemote.

You should just be able to go to the settings page in the remote app and hit the Find button.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Oh, and you've got your Droid on wifi, right? 3G = no go.

OP
S

sbmcd

Reaction score
Thanks, Sleeve. I do have the remote by Tim Hoeck. I am guessing the problem is I'm trying to use 3G, not Wi-Fi. I have a very similar remote on my itouch that of course is connected through my home Wi-Fi, and it works. So, I guess the answer is....no connectivity through 3G? Thanks again. sbmcd

Sleeve

Reaction score
Yea, because when you're on wifi, all the communication is right there in your house under your control. When you're on 3G, you're connecting to the internet from whatever nearby location where Verizon Wireless gathers all its towers in a metro area together, then trying to come into your home network from the internet. Your firewall is likely going to be unhappy with that unless you make some changes that would allow anyone in the world to mess with your Tivos, or at least anyone on VzW's public IP address ranges...

SGTiger

Reaction score
Thanks, Sleeve. I do have the remote by Tim Hoeck. I am guessing the problem is I'm trying to use 3G, not Wi-Fi. I have a very similar remote on my itouch that of course is connected through my home Wi-Fi, and it works. So, I guess the answer is....no connectivity through 3G? Thanks again. sbmcd

It should still work with 3G. You have to configure your router to forward whatever port the app uses to the IP address of the TIVO. Then you use your home public IP address to connect to instead of the lan ip address of the TIVO.

However if this is strictly a remote control app and not a "viewing app", WIFI is really the only thing that makes a lot of sense.

Last edited: