TIP REQUEST: Fastest way to dial the phone

OP
CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this works on the Bionic but on my Droid 2 I can make a shortcut to my Dialer and then it asks me which part of my Dialer it wants the shortcut to point to (Recent, favorites, dialer).

Just long press the homescreen>shortcuts>dialer.
Perfect! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Then, I was able to drag that icon overtop the phone icon on the dock and it replaced it with the icon that goes straight to the dialer.

It's odd that you can't add that icon to the dock using the press-and-hold method that you add other icons with.

saltrock

Reaction score
use home+ + launcher and their is an icon in the lower left corner that will take you directly to the dial screen

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ripper2860

Reaction score
Many ways to get there, but I use Go Launcher EX w/ Go Locker. This adds a lockscreen with an option to go straight to the DIALER. Both are free.

saltrock

Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Go to market and find home+ +. It's a launcher to replace the stock launcher. I like a lot of the features. I've been using it since my Droid 1.it has a lot of convenient features that I can't seem to get with other launchers.

rancur3p1c

Reaction score
may I recommend DialerOne?
It provides a T9 text search and supports wildcard "*" asterisk. So you want to dial "President Obama" you type "P*O" and he'll probably be the first one up. If he's not, type "P*Ob" or "P*Oba". This was one feature I loved in the blackberry now we have it for Droid.

johnmage

Reaction score
Contact serach

"What I want to be able to do is hit one button from the home screen and be able to start dialing by name or number. I have not yet found a way to make the phone icon always pull up the dialer when I click it (it seems to revert to the last icon used)."

To force the Dialer icon to always open the Dialer, don't use the Contacts icon for your Contacts. Instead, create a shortcut to Contact Search (long press blank screen - Shortcuts - Contact Search). This app immediately brings up keyboard for name search, or you can swipe the screen and drag a big slider for super fast scrolling through contacts. Now that you're not using Contacts, your Dialer will stay on the dialer tab.

I'm with you - my old "basic" phone did basic things a lot easier...

cybric

Reaction score
If you go to shortcuts, then scroll down to dialer. Tap it abd you will get 3 choices. Faves, recent, and dialer. Tap dialer and there will be your dialer everytime.

OP
CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Oh wow ... forgot about this thread.

I found a pretty nice solution a few weeks back, and it's pretty similar to cybric's solution, but adds one more step.

I found that with the dialer keypad, I can either start typing in a number or a name. So, if I want to call 'Steve Smith', I start dialing 78383 and it brings up all the steve's I have in my address book. If I want to narrow it down even more, I hold the # key for a second to insert a space, and start typing the last name.

The next challenge was getting to the dialer quick, with one, maybe two key-presses, from no matter where I was in the phone. I wanted to keep the double-tap home screen shortcut for voice commands, so that was out. If I long-pressed a dock icon, I could make one the dialer app, but it would always open to the last used state (dialer, recent, contacts, or favorites), requiring another key-press to get to the dialer.

But I found that I can add the dialer as a shortcut to any of the home screens (using the method cybric describes above). Then, I can long-press the icon and drag it down to the dock. Now, the default shortcut to the dialer app has been replaced with the shortcut directly to the dialer so that, whenever I press it, I get the number keypad.

Feels like a pretty goofy work around to get something so simple (and something my old BB curve did right out of the box), but it works :biggrin:

Here's a screen grab of what my home screen looks like now.

View attachment 46115

useltonm

Reaction score
I know you already found a solution, but check out swipepad. You drag from the designated side of the screen and then you have access to 12 apps that you can access while in any app. You designate which apps, shortcuts, contacts are on the swipepad screen when it pops up.

You can add dialer to the swipepad as a shortcut and then it takes you directly there.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had TAKEphONE on my OG Droid. It had a T9 search, plus "dial by photo." There was also a widget for callbacks and "dial by photo." I stopped using it because it would always take me to the call log after the call and I couldn't find an app (like On Call End) that could stop it.

MikeMasso

Reaction score
You could use AnyCut to make a shortcut to the Dialer, use the favorites fan to put your 20 most contacted people on and direct dial from there, or you could hit the search button and type their name and dial from there.

DJGwystyl

Reaction score
"To force the Dialer icon to always open the Dialer, don't use the Contacts icon for your Contacts. Instead, create a shortcut to Contact Search (long press blank screen - Shortcuts - Contact Search). This app immediately brings up keyboard for name search, or you can swipe the screen and drag a big slider for super fast scrolling through contacts. Now that you're not using Contacts, your Dialer will stay on the dialer tab."

There is no "Contact Search" option under the shortcuts, and when I added the "Contacts" shortcut, it still opens the regular phone options, and thus doesn't change the problem. :(

Last edited:

DJGwystyl

Reaction score
"If you go to shortcuts, then scroll down to dialer. Tap it abd you will get 3 choices. Faves, recent, and dialer. Tap dialer and there will be your dialer everytime. "

Is there a way to add this dialer to the Droid Razr? There is no shortcut or widget for any kind of dialer that I can find :(