This May Be A Stupid Question But...

NVash

Reaction score
I just set my Droid to automatically update some apps. I was very happy that it can do that but I didnt set them all. I was txting when I noticed an app was updating, Google Maps. I also had an Update prompt and went to add another to the Automatic list. Thing is shortly after doing that I got a Prompt that my phone was low on space. I checked and I have around 49MB. IIRC the Droid had 500MB right? So Im missing alot. Ive wiped the phone twice and Im just about down to the essentials. Some apps can go but I know the heavy hitters are the ones that need to stay.

Thats the back story. Question is do we now have the ability to transfer apps to our SD cards? If so how? I dont want to delete them, only transfer them over to my card so I dont have to worry about the memory anymore.

Please forgive me if its a stupid question. I figure maybe we all got the ability when we got the upgrade to 2.1 and this really cool new look to the OS.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Question is do we now have the ability to transfer apps to our SD cards? If so how? I dont want to delete them, only transfer them over to my card so I dont have to worry about the memory anymore.

Please forgive me if its a stupid question. I figure maybe we all got the ability when we got the upgrade to 2.1 and this really cool new look to the OS.

Assuming no root, you have to go to each app (Settings>Applications>Manage applications). You'll see the option to "Move to SD card." If it's not ghosted, pressing that will send it to the card. One thing though, most apps that will allow the transfer won't send it all. For example, Google Earth will only send 1/4 to the card. Some send 1/2 and others will send more.

Last edited:

everstar80

Reaction score
I would caution you about setting you apps to automatic updates. Say that the update doesn't work well or takes up more memory than you can spare. By doing this you have an update that sucks and if that app has had several updates then you go back by uninstalling updates, you may not be able to find thevlast update that worked. Always read the comments of others to see how the updated app is performing.

rlfitz

Reaction score
there is also an app called app2sd that works pretty well. it tells you which apps you can move to the sd and moves them for you.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
I would caution you about setting you apps to automatic updates. Say that the update doesn't work well or takes up more memory than you can spare. By doing this you have an update that sucks and if that app has had several updates then you go back by uninstalling updates, you may not be able to find thevlast update that worked. Always read the comments of others to see how the updated app is performing.
Yeah I was kinda afraid of that. Some updates completely mess up the whole thing and then Im just out of luck. What I find funny is that many times I look at it and while it says its updating but somehow froze I look at my pull down tray and find out it already installed. What in the World is that? Makes me wonder if its really updating.

I see some apps dont transfer to SD sadly but Ill try and move all that I can. That should free up some memory. Thanks everyone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
256MB of internal storage, but that's at least two caches as well as all the apps and updates. It's a good idea to move what you can to the SD card.