"This attachment cannot be displayed"

Pinshooter

Reaction score
This is happening when I try to open an attachment in regular email. Not gmail, and I don't have exchange...

When I get an email on my regular POP3 account I set up in the Droid, the email reads fine. Even the crappy company logo picture shows up well. But the .pdf attachment won't open and I get the "This attachment cannot be displayed" message.

All the other .pdf files on my card open fine with BeamReader on the Droid.
I've read all the threads I could find but thier fixes concern Exchange accounts and I'm not using exchange.

I tried using K-9, but it causes Quickoffice (native) to lock up.

I'm wondering if the Droid was a good decision?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Edward

:motdroidhoriz:

Last edited:
OP
P

Pinshooter

Reaction score
Replying to my own post...

After I Uninstalled K-9, and pulled the battery to make sure I had a good power down,
I re-created the account in my regular email folder, and the damn thing works now.
Attachments come through fine.....

Sometimes the majic works, and sometimes the majic don't!

sdt1212

Reaction score
I am having the same issues.

All you did was delete pop3 account, pull battery, and reinstall the account and your PDF files will now open,

Droids

Reaction score
I don't recall installing any specific app to read pdf files, but they open fine and look great. Does the Droid handle pdf files without an app?

OP
P

Pinshooter

Reaction score
Yes, the Droid had a .pdf reader that is native.

I did a little more than that. What I think happened was I tried to use a 3rd party .pdf viewer that left something behind when I uninstalled it.
When the problem came up, I looked here on the forum for some awnsers. Most of what I found were for Exchange Users. But one was promising.

A user said an ap called K-9 worked when he had the similar problem. So I tried the app, K-9, and it crashed every time I tried to view a .pdf file.....

Life sucks... Droid good!

I uninstalled the app, K-9. But before I did that, I had removed all the information from the native email account in the droid...

Once K-9 was removed, I added the account for the pop3 email again.
It suddenly began to work. I think that once I removed the 3rd party .pdf viewers, and removed K-9, it took the bad code with it, thus allowing the native .pdf viewer to work again.

I hope this helps.

I'm not a geek, I just get paid like one.....

Edward

sdt1212

Reaction score
I have tried all that has been mentioned. I never installed k9 I did have beam reader installed. I uninstalled everything pulled the battery and SD card. Then reinstalled email. Still not able to open PDF files.

One thing seems weird was that I was able to open these files at one time. I have tried to reset and uninstall whatever might have been downloaded since then. Can you do a total wipe of the system?

LordKastle

Reaction score
Someone just posted a way to do this on the forum and I can't find the thread to link.

OP
P

Pinshooter

Reaction score
With a total reset you will loose EVERYTHING in the phone. Before you do that try to install K-9 and then uninstall it. It can't hurt if your next step is a Full RESET....

sdt1212

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I tried it and I still can't view my PDF attachments.