Thinking of returning my X

sanguines

Reaction score
As a former iPhone 3G owner, one of the main reasons I switched to Android was to be able to do whatever I wanted to my phone. I bought the X blind, not knowing about the drama with the bootloader.

I think I might return my phone. My alternative would basically be only the Incredible - EVO is sadly out since Sprint has zero service where I work. I'd consider the Nexus One but T-Mobile is spotty at work (OK at home). I like the Verizon network, I'm just nerd raging that I can't hack my phone and I hate Blur.

What do you think?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you've been using the X for a while already, go back and use an Incredible and make sure you still like the screen size. The Droid feels tiny to me now. It's crazy. I am going through rom flashing withdraw but the X is so fast, built well, has a great screen, etc that I can wait for a workaround (or keep it stock until another phone comes along). I like it that much.

But if you don't like the X itself enough to overlook the bootloader issue then I'd say go for the Incredible. Since they don't sell the Nexus 1 anymore, you'd have to buy it retail from someone. $$$$$

Chrisace89

Reaction score
yeah i would go droid incredible then... i didnt get the droid X for the same reason, i currently have droid 1. The best part about the phone is the dev community. And the next phone i buy will definitely not have a locked bootloader. I dont buy android to be locked down.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would wait if I were you... I think there is hope...

(i own a droid1 tho fyi)

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah i would go droid incredible then... i didnt get the droid X for the same reason, i currently have droid 1. The best part about the phone is the dev community. And the next phone i buy will definitely not have a locked bootloader. I dont buy android to be locked down.
I like Motorola's build quality better than any other phone I've had/used so I'm gonna wait it out. All phones are getting harder to crack (except the Galaxy S LOL). I mean look at the Incredible. It took them quite a while. The X has only been out a couple weeks lol. It got rooted quicker than the Incredible. Just give it time.
I would wait if I were you... I think there is hope...

(i own a droid1 tho fyi)
I also think they will beat it in some way or another. They just got Froyo running on a Milestone which is promising since they have similar bootloaders. Plus, I think there are more minds at work on the X than there was on the Milestone AND they have all of the Milestone work to build off of.

stryguy

Reaction score
I too am a former Iphone 3G owner who bought the X not realizing the whole bootloader drama.

I have to say, however, they rooted the phone in less then 1 month while there was a lot of speculation that it couldn't be done without causing problems. Will we have bootloader access in 2 or 3 months?

Being 1 of 2 4.3 inch display phones I think this device has a secured place of popularity for some time and thus will have a hacking community working on it with dedication.

I also have an incredible and it's battery is horribly short lived. If you come from the Iphone you're going to have a very very hard time adjusting to it.

You can do more with our phones locked down then you can do with the Iphone once it's jailbroke. So, In the mean time, sit back, enjoy our froyo update.

Smokie

Reaction score
I'm sure the X will get taken care of.. just give it a little more time. good things come to those who wait.. or whatever.. dancedroid

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would either wait it out for the X, go with the Inc. or go with the Samsung Fascinate.

Me personally I would choose between the X and Fascinate.

bad4u

Reaction score
Anyone wanting to return their X I will trade you my Brand new Inc and kick you down with some $. Pm me if your interested. Lets work out a deal where its a win - win. dancedroid

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Careful with the Fascinate. They are fast enough and easy to root but I've heard that the build quality on them is pretty crappy. Like creaky plastic. Motos are heavy metal, HTCs are very plasticy and light but they are solid, I haven't heard the same about the Samsungs...

Reaction score
I too am a former Iphone 3G owner who bought the X not realizing the whole bootloader drama.

I have to say, however, they rooted the phone in less then 1 month while there was a lot of speculation that it couldn't be done without causing problems. Will we have bootloader access in 2 or 3 months?

Being 1 of 2 4.3 inch display phones I think this device has a secured place of popularity for some time and thus will have a hacking community working on it with dedication.

I also have an incredible and it's battery is horribly short lived. If you come from the Iphone you're going to have a very very hard time adjusting to it.

You can do more with our phones locked down then you can do with the Iphone once it's jailbroke. So, In the mean time, sit back, enjoy our froyo update.

Less than one month, yeah, but more like 8 days. :D birdman also just tweeted (i hate that word) that he is going to hopefully have an unbrick process by the end of next week. As a former iphone 3g and 3gs user, a rooted but locked DX is brr than a jailbroken iphone IMHO. I would wait it out if I were you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk