Thinking of making the switch

northpen

Reaction score
I've been an iPhone user for two years, and I'm considering making the jump to android, specifically Droid X.

I know the Droid X won't be perfect either, but with some of the issues on the new iPhone still being ironed out, the Droid X seems pretty appealing. Not to mention, AT&T is pretty ridiculous most days.

I have to say, Swype + Verizon seems really appealing.

I'm curious if there are others who have made the switch, and what they have missed about iPhone and like about Android?

thelion

Reaction score
I know the Droid X won't be perfect either

Lies.

but with some of the issues on the new iPhone still being ironed out

Hmm...didn't know they had even started :D

the Droid X seems pretty appealing. Not to mention, AT&T is pretty ridiculous most days.

Truth

Go play with an X. You'll never look back. Android rocks like no other. I have had Winmo phones, BB phones, iPhones and Android phones. None of the others can do half of what my Droid can do.

drtechy

Reaction score
Go play with an X. You'll never look back. Android rocks like no other. I have had Winmo phones, BB phones, iPhones and Android phones. None of the others can do half of what my Droid can do.

I have to agree. I am in charge of the wireless devices for my company, and I have tested every unit out there. The only reason some people are not using android units is because they don't want to pay for the app to have full exchange support. And since froyo is just around the corner, they are just waiting. We also have blackberries in our environment, but they don't even compare. Iphones are cool, but way to proprietary and Apple is way too difficult to deal with when it comes to repair. Besides, I can take a bricked android phone and have it back up and running in 15 minutes. Switch to android, you won't be disappointed.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a former iPhone user. I switched for one simple reason. AT&T! Their coverage and 3G is terrible!

For me the Droid has been a great phone. I would recommend it to anyone. I've not seen the X so I'm not able to voice an opinion.

Here is a link that may help Motorola Droid X Review | Android Phone Fans

Personally, I believe by moving to VZW you will be better off no matter what phone you select.

Mike

Ansextra

Reaction score

I have to agree. I am in charge of the wireless devices for my company, and I have tested every unit out there. The only reason some people are not using android units is because they don't want to pay for the app to have full exchange support. And since froyo is just around the corner, they are just waiting. We also have blackberries in our environment, but they don't even compare. Iphones are cool, but way to proprietary and Apple is way too difficult to deal with when it comes to repair. Besides, I can take a bricked android phone and have it back up and running in 15 minutes. Switch to android, you won't be disappointed.
I am currently an iPhone user planning to switch to Droid X. My understanding is that Exchange support is native in Android? What is not included?

Darkseider

Reaction score

I am currently an iPhone user planning to switch to Droid X. My understanding is that Exchange support is native in Android? What is not included?

Coffee maker, Ferrari and 3 wishes. Otherwise it's got pretty much everything. dancedroid

drtechy

Reaction score

Well it depends on whether your running Android 2.2 or 2.1. If you are on 2.1 and your company has security policies requiring a PIN password then you will have to use an application such as touchdown. If they do not require it you will be able to get your email, however you will not be able to accept or decline meeting invites from the device. Now if you are on 2.2 then you will be able to do all those things inherently through the android operating system.

Make sense?

Ansextra

Reaction score

Well it depends on whether your running Android 2.2 or 2.1. If you are on 2.1 and your company has security policies requiring a PIN password then you will have to use an application such as touchdown. If they do not require it you will be able to get your email, however you will not be able to accept or decline meeting invites from the device. Now if you are on 2.2 then you will be able to do all those things inherently through the android operating system.

Make sense?
PIN? Of course I need a password to log on. I thought I'd be able to accept meeting invites though like I can with my iPhone.

drtechy

Reaction score
PIN? Of course I need a password to log on. I thought I'd be able to accept meeting invites though like I can with my iPhone.

Well this is different from just your email password. Does your company currently require that you have a PIN to unlock your phone? Also if you make sure to pick up a newer android device that already is on the latest android 2.2 (which there aren't too many yet, but will be by the fall) then you can accept meeting invites just like the iphone.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have Exchange on my Droid. I've used it with 2.0.1, 2.1 and 2.2. I used the Corporate email app and I've not had any issues.

Mike

drtechy

Reaction score
I have Exchange on my Droid. I've used it with 2.0.1, 2.1 and 2.2. I used the Corporate email app and I've not had any issues.

Mike

Then your company does not use any security measures to protect their data on mobile devices. Also the meeting requests would not have worked until 2.2.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not true! PSU is very very concerned about security!

Mike

Ansextra

Reaction score
This is my personal phone although I can expense my monthly bill. I can access my Exchange account from any phone that has Activesync. So now my question is can I or can I not accept meeting requests? If it makes a difference my company is currently using Exchange 2003.
Thanks for the help.

drtechy

Reaction score
Not true! PSU is very very concerned about security!

Mike

LOL!!! You'd be surprised how many companies are not secure with these features.

This is my personal phone although I can expense my monthly bill. I can access my Exchange account from any phone that has Activesync. So now my question is can I or can I not accept meeting requests? If it makes a difference my company is currently using Exchange 2003.
Thanks for the help.

Once again it all depends on what version Android operating system comes with the device you are purchasing. Most devices out right now have 2.1 which does not support it yet. However from all the news and rumors by the end of the summer most android devices should be updated to 2.2, which at that point they would support it. You can also purchase an app (I think its $20 one time fee) which will give you full support no matter what version of android you are running.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the former IT director in my division, I can assure you my staff and I were very cognizant of the issues and risks. Our users very well trained. The security officer in my division was certified by SANS in two different areas so I'm comfortable saying PSU was and is concerned about security on mobile devices!

Mike