thinking of getting a droid, please advise!

SCCSURF

Reaction score
I've been using a crappy buisness phone for the last two years and have always kept my verizon contract waiting. Well the time is now and I'm debating between the droid and the storm 2. My wife has the first storm and it's nice but I think I would be happier with the droid. Please tell me what you guys think of this phone and how many things you can do with it. I would like to check my email, browse sports scores, download music, etc. Thanks.

reggin

Reaction score
If you like gadgets you will love the Droid. Of all the things you desire to do with the device, e-mail can be the most challenging, but there are 3rd party apps to make you happy. Everything else is icing on the cake!

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
The disclaimer first: I've used a storm but not a storm 2. I've also owned a BB Tour.

And I now own a Droid and I'm not looking back. It does everything I want to, is generally very fast, relatively easy to use and fun to explore its capabilities.

So my vote would be get the Droid and skip the Storm 2.

OP
SCCSURF

SCCSURF

Reaction score
I'm also possibly moving to the big island of hawaii. I don't know how much apps I would use out there. I'm also interested in the navigation by google.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I'm also interested in the navigation by google.
Well if that's the case, the Droid is definitely for you! Although there are lots of other useful apps, Google nav is the "killer app" for the Droid. It works amazingly well (and note that I also own a Garmin Zumo 550) and is very easy to use.

thelion

Reaction score
I had the Storm 2 and hated it. I traded it in for the Droid and love it.

bbcrackman

Reaction score
Hmmm, need a little more info. Is this going to be for business or pleasure or both. If it is going to be an all around device for you then I would have to say the Droid hands down. If you are soley using it for business then I would get a BB, but not the Storm. Each device has a purpose in which it was intened and once more apps are developed for the Droid then it will be a no brainer and I will also have to rethink my useage. I have noticed that I am beginning to use the Droid more and more in my business life than I ever thought I would. It is definitely a good all around device and you will not be disappointed if you get it.

OP
SCCSURF

SCCSURF

Reaction score
This will be for personnel use only, I'm giving up on a business phone. I'm not much of a tech guru, I know I'll have to learn alot. I just want the basics of a new phone, texting, email (I have a yahoo account), internet browsing, navigation, downloading music, etc. The rest of the apps I can learn or play around with later.

Keep them coming, thanks.

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
If you get the Droid, set up a gmail account. They come instantly to the device. I found that yahoo,AOL etc. the device seems to only check those accounts every 20 mins. You can set up gmail then forward your yahoo though it and your mail should come instantly to your Droid.

OP
SCCSURF

SCCSURF

Reaction score
Why can't I keep my yahoo account and have it sent to the droid? I don't really want to have another email account just for my phone. Can someone explain what the deal is with Yahoo? Thanks.

thelion

Reaction score
I think you can have a yahoo account it is just more optimized with gmail. Gmail comes directly to the phone and Yahoo, AOL etc go to that client and then have to sync with the phone which means there may be delays.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I too am thinking of getting a Droid. It sounds SO cool... Believe it or not, my main use for this 'unit' is STILL making phone calls. I see no discussion at all of call quality. I realize this is a computer first, and cell phone only as an after thought, but I'd still like to know how it does as a cell phone. I currently do a lot of texting and sending of videos. If the Droid does this stuff well, then I might like to step up and get into the 'data stream' world. The $30/mo data charge is a hit, but if it's cool, I can probably justify the expense. Wifey will probably stay with her LGnv2.

I've read a lot about battery usage and how long (or short) the battery lasts. I'm used to charging my nv2 once a night. Sounds like the Droid will require more battery maintenance than I'm used to. I can probably live with that, as long as I can charge it in my truck as I drive down the road.

Is it true that I can charge it with the same Verizon 12v charger I got with my LGnv2? If so, that saves me bucks in buying yet another charger. :icon_wink:

Spanky

Reaction score
I too am thinking of getting a Droid. It sounds SO cool... Believe it or not, my main use for this 'unit' is STILL making phone calls. I see no discussion at all of call quality. I realize this is a computer first, and cell phone only as an after thought, but I'd still like to know how it does as a cell phone. I currently do a lot of texting and sending of videos. If the Droid does this stuff well, then I might like to step up and get into the 'data stream' world. The $30/mo data charge is a hit, but if it's cool, I can probably justify the expense. Wifey will probably stay with her LGnv2.

I've read a lot about battery usage and how long (or short) the battery lasts. I'm used to charging my nv2 once a night. Sounds like the Droid will require more battery maintenance than I'm used to. I can probably live with that, as long as I can charge it in my truck as I drive down the road.

Is it true that I can charge it with the same Verizon 12v charger I got with my LGnv2? If so, that saves me bucks in buying yet another charger. :icon_wink:

Rest assured, call quality is good, if not great. I had a BB Storm 1, where the calls were muffled. Calls are much clearer on the Droid.

The battery can drain quickly if you run apps in the background constantly, but you can get a full day's use out of it at a minimum. Even if you play several 10 minute videos during the day, the battery will last awhile. If you play video constantly, yes, you will drain the battery rather quickly.

They give you a wall charger with the phone. A car charger may set you back $15-$20.

All in all, you won't regret joining the Droid Militia.........