Theming apps

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok some progress(if you want to call it that...i wouldn't haha)...

I installed Pandora from the market, copied the apk to my sdcard and then uninstalled Pandora through the market

I then adb installed the apk that I had copied and all was well. The app installed, it shows up in my app drawer, and shows in the market as installed

soooo....

the error is happening after I edit the files. I've tried not resigning, I've tried resigning, I've tried adb, I've tried root explorer. I've tried it all, and whenever I edit a file I get the Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION] or parse error. Anyone can give me any tips on how to resign this apk correctly? I have ubuntu, but i can also use Windows if necessary. I know it can be done, just gotta figure out how haha

the autosign tool is just java so it SHOULD be platform independent, grab it from xda and then do this in the directory you extract it to :

Code:
java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 apk_to_be_signed.apk your_app_signed.apk

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just confirmed that you can sign apks in linux using the command I posted. I just tried it in slackware 13 and it worked fine ;)

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man...you have the patient of a saint haha so I want to thank you for that...but still no go. Again, the apk seems to sign correctly and the new apk is created. But when I go to adb install I get the parse error...

The signing appears to work, yeah but are you able to install the slackware through adb or root explorer? That's where I get the parse error. All I'm doing is editing one file. Saving it. Resigning. And trying to install. No go....I just can't figure it out and my frustration level is through the roof haha

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Man...you have the patient of a saint haha so I want to thank you for that...but still no go. Again, the apk seems to sign correctly and the new apk is created. But when I go to adb install I get the parse error...

The signing appears to work, yeah but are you able to install the slackware through adb or root explorer? That's where I get the parse error. All I'm doing is editing one file. Saving it. Resigning. And trying to install. No go....I just can't figure it out and my frustration level is through the roof haha

dont do adb install, just push the apk to its destination, it does not need to be formally installed. try that

edit: I have never tried adb install. I just use adb push

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

dont do adb install, just push the apk to its destination, it does not need to be formally installed. try that

edit: I have never tried adb install. I just use adb push

tried adb push and it pushes correctly, I can see the apk in /data/app but it doesn't show in app drawer and the market says it's not installed...I think Android has finally defeated me haha...I really can't imagine what I could possibly be doing wrong...

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
just for kicks, see if you can push this apk in and if it works (it is a version of jonasl's HTC ezinput colored blue by me) if it does, you know something is going wrong with the way you are editing the apks.. it should work fine in /data or /system

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: RZ_HTC_IME.apk

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
just for kicks, see if you can push this apk in and if it works (it is a version of jonasl's HTC ezinput colored blue by me) if it does, you know something is going wrong with the way you are editing the apks.. it should work fine in /data or /system

Yeah it pushed, I see it in /data/app but don't see anything new in my app drawer. What am I looking for?

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yeah it pushed, I see it in /data/app but don't see anything new in my app drawer. What am I looking for?
yeah thats probably not the best apk to test with... just look in keyboard preferences and see if htc ezinput is an available input method

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

yeah thats probably not the best apk to test with... just look in keyboard preferences and see if htc ezinput is an available input method

ok now we have progress lol. Yes it's available in keyboard settings...soooo that means i'm messing up in editing the file somewhere. So here's the noob version of what i'm doing lol

1] double click the archive
2] navigate to the archives drawablehpdi folder
3] open the file by double clicking it (not extracting)
4] editing with Gimp
5] saving it (when I do this I get a message if I want to update the archive, I hit yes)
6] then I do the resign and the push

So where could I be making an error?

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

ok now we have progress lol. Yes it's available in keyboard settings...soooo that means i'm messing up in editing the file somewhere. So here's the noob version of what i'm doing lol

4] editing with Gimp
5] saving it (when I do this I get a message if I want to update the archive, I hit yes)

what I do is extract the APK to a folder as it is just an archive. I make my edits directly on the extracted files and then simply drag them back into the archive to replace what was there before. What tool are you using for archiving? Hopefully not ark lol. I think there is a 7zip for linux or maybe a 7z plugin for ark or something similiar

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

4] editing with Gimp

what I do is extract the APK to a folder as it is just an archive. I make my edits directly on the extracted files and then simply drag them back into the archive to replace what was there before. What tool are you using for archiving? Hopefully not ark lol. I think there is a 7zip for linux or maybe a 7z plugin for ark or something similiar

I'm just using ubuntu's built in archive manager, which works fine when I'm doing updates to /system/app apps so not sure why it wouldn't work here. When I do the extract and drag thing, I don't get the "do you want to update this archive" message, but I'll try that way again.

ok just tried it and still nothing. the file pushes and i see it in /data/app but not anywhere else. geez, i am so annoyed haha...

EDIT: I don't think it's the archive manager either because as I mentioned I tried it with 7zip and windows and same deal.

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

4] editing with Gimp

I'm just using ubuntu's built in archive manager, which works fine when I'm doing updates to /system/app apps so not sure why it wouldn't work here. When I do the extract and drag thing, I don't get the "do you want to update this archive" message, but I'll try that way again.

ok just tried it and still nothing. the file pushes and i see it in /data/app but not anywhere else. geez, i am so annoyed haha...

at this point the best advice I could give you is install wine and just run the windows version of winrar or 7zip. what exactly are you trying to do the apk?

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's about time I call it quits...i did try with 7 zip on my windows box but same result...I'll just move it to system app and theme it there and give the points to android cuz it definitely kicked my butt haha...man that was frustrating...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well just an update. After yesterday's fiasco, I was just going to move it to /system/app and manually check for updates. Then i thought what if I just leave the file in /data/app as well. I edited the file, moved it to system/app and left the original in data/app. And it worked. The edits show on my screen, AND the app remains in the app drawer and in the market. No resigning, no uninstalling the original, and exactly what I wanted. I verified that it works too because this morning I had a launcherpro update and that is one of the apps I edited. So, all is good. And thanks raidzero for all your help! Don't know if this is normal behavior but I'm not complaining haha.

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hmm.. so you have two instances of the same application, but one with edits in /system and the original in /data? ??

that is WEIRD, but glad you got it working!