The Thunderbolt battery issues are overblown

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I've only had my T-Bolt for a day now and when I got it I was expecting terrible battery.

I've been on it nonstop like everyone is when they get a new phone. As I am waiting for the battery to drain quickly it just isn't doing it. The battery is no worse on this phone than it is on my X.

I think people that don't like the battery are coming from flip phones or something.

I don't know but I must say I am happy with what I am seeing from the battery so far.

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
I dunno, when I had a blackberry, I could get 3 days out of it,switched to the droid, typically about 30 hours, now, on the TB, I had it fully charged at 11pm last night, it was drained and off by 8 am this morning, no wifi and the phone shouldn't have been doing anything weird last night, it should have easily lasted.

D1, if I went to bed with 15% battery, it would still have life left in the morning for the alarm.

cpjr

Reaction score
Thats the problem with people, they try and compare apple to oranges.

The D1 has a MUCH slower processor, less RAM, a smaller screen, etc, etc.......Its obviously not going to drink as much juice.

And a Blackberry, again, MUCH weaker components = less power.

Im sure the TB could be better certainly, but horrible....no.

genebopp

Reaction score
well. if your using the phone and complaining about the battery is one thing. Mine dies in hours sitting alone on a table. If anything I have it doing less updating than when i came out of the box.

OP
MrKleen

MrKleen

Reaction score
I dunno, when I had a blackberry, I could get 3 days out of it,switched to the droid, typically about 30 hours, now, on the TB, I had it fully charged at 11pm last night, it was drained and off by 8 am this morning, no wifi and the phone shouldn't have been doing anything weird last night, it should have easily lasted.

D1, if I went to bed with 15% battery, it would still have life left in the morning for the alarm.

Correct... You can't expect this battery to last for 3 days. But if you compare it to the Droid X you will be happy.

A phone like this is a whole new ballgame compared to the old phones.

You should know better than to go to bed with 15 percent battery without charging. Does that really make sense in any way?

slinky

Reaction score
It takes no effort to figure out that the Thunderbolt's small battery is a problem. Can anyone explain why they made it 7% smaller than the old EVO battery, where battery life is the biggest complaint of all users?

Battery life using 4G is much worse than using the Droid X on 3G, a comparable metric. If any of you use the phone for business, you know it's not lasting an entire day. Unfortunately it seems HTC is willing to play the "are you going to burn down your battery game" like it did with the Incredible and you had to buy an extended battery if you wanted it to last a reasonable period of time. No different here. This phone should have had at least a 1700mAh battery, end of story.

OP
MrKleen

MrKleen

Reaction score
well. if your using the phone and complaining about the battery is one thing. Mine dies in hours sitting alone on a table. If anything I have it doing less updating than when i came out of the box.

You must have a bad phone. I went to bed last night with a full charge and woke up only 5% less. And I have turned off nothing and I do have 4g service.

slinky

Reaction score

You must have a bad phone. I went to bed last night with a full charge and woke up only 5% less. And I have turned off nothing and I do have 4g service.
I've had the same problem. Here's what I found:

- An instance of IM is running. Unfortunately this phone will burn out within 6 hours if you use GTalk or the like in the background

- You have a game or something else running. I've read that backing out of Angry Birds doesn't mean the app is shut down completely and you'll find your phone battery burning down quickly.

Jokerz

Reaction score

Definitely a bad phone. There's no way your phone should die in a few hours when doing nothing. My thunderbolt lasts just as long as my rooted OG droid.

cpjr

Reaction score
This might sound mean, but I think its dumb to go to bed and not charge your phone at night. Seriously, thats what I do, just let it charge while your sleeping. I wake up and have 100%.

genebopp

Reaction score
I think i am gonna have to look into the bad phone option. I have used 35% of the battery in 4 hours and I have only been on the phone for 4 minutes and and used the screen for 17 minutes and been off the charger for 5 hours.

F

FlyFishinX2

I've had the same problem. Here's what I found:

- An instance of IM is running. Unfortunately this phone will burn out within 6 hours if you use GTalk or the like in the background

- You have a game or something else running. I've read that backing out of Angry Birds doesn't mean the app is shut down completely and you'll find your phone battery burning down quickly.

What is this slinky characters issue ? Why spend an entire day on here griping about your phone? If you don't like the damn thing take it back and buy one of those superior ones that you claim are out there.....Im sure I'm not the only one that's sick of reading your posts
sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

pistol_pete

Reaction score
I must say that I am extremely happy with my phone also . I can get at least 18 hours out of a charge on moderate use. all you have to do is change a few settings then you will be okay ..these people on here complaining all day are pathetic

sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

excuses for human beings

Wow. You're an idiot. Out of the box this thing died in 5-6 hours, don't kid yourself. I, along with a host of others, find that totally unacceptable. Only after rooting, getting rid of all the crap ware, and disabling the htc widgets was I able to get it to last all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.