The Standard Dock - The Brightness problem.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought the Standard Dock to replace the one I used with my OG Droid next to my bed. I mainly use it to charge overnight and for a clock and alarm.

First of all the build is cheaper but the dock is more expensive. One thing that's better is that it fits more snug in the dock.

THE BAD!

The freaking clock is BRIGHT. Why did they change it from the way it was on the old Droid. On this there is NO WAY to dim it - I think it takes 20 seconds to self dim but until then it's like a beacon of light.

Then when it Dims it's still too bright to have facing you unless you want a tan when you wake up.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is there an app or APK or something? I want back to the old one that dimmed very well and had more info (weather, etc...)

The only good thing is that you can run apps instead of the clock. When I woke up I put up Stocks and went back to sleep. So I could glance at it updating every so often.

devils3023

Reaction score
Hmmm....my gf has the dock on her side of the bed and was able to turn the brightness down really low last night.. Just asked her what she did and she said after she put it in the dock, press the menu capacitive button (next to home) and there was a brightness setting to adjust it...Hope it helps..

fucco

Reaction score
I had the same issue, there is a setting in the menu when u dock the phone. In there u can adjust the brightness. It was defaulted around 30%. I am mine down to around 10% and it is great now

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I changed it to the lowest setting and it's good.

The problem is it take a full minute to go from full brightness with the bright controls lit until it dims. Is there a way to bypass this?

TeeX

Reaction score
I have the opposite request - I would like for the screen to stay "on" the entire time it's on the dock. I use the dock while I'm at my desk at home and work, and would like to always have it show the date/ weather/ calendar appointments/ etc.

When it darkens after 1 minute it's just the clock, but I would like to have it stay showing all of it's features. Any ideas???

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yours is easy - when you put it in the dock press the settings key and it will give you the option to have applications running instead of the clock....

TeeX

Reaction score
Yours is easy - when you put it in the dock press the settings key and it will give you the option to have applications running instead of the clock....

really? I thought that just meant that my normal home screen would stay visible, that no dock/clock app would show up at all? (I'm not near my dock or at home to try this). You sure?

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just checked. After you put it in the dock, hit the back key and it will bring you out of the sleep mode. Then pull down the options and there are dock choices one of which is productivity.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Great free program to dim the screen is called screen filter. Works great for night time reading and such so I think it would be a great fit for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is not with the screen while I use it in bed, it's the dock that stays bright for 1 minute. But I appreciate the thought!

TeeX

Reaction score
I just checked. After you put it in the dock, hit the back key and it will bring you out of the sleep mode. Then pull down the options and there are dock choices one of which is productivity.

I remember seeing productivity, but didn't choose it because I thought it would just keep the home screen running, not having the dock appear at all. If you choose productivity, does it go into dock mode, but then stay in the dock mode after one minute? (if you have time to check, if not I'll be home in a few hours) :)

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used it. I woke up and left it in the dock and chose my stocks program to run in the dock - ran it for hours.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
The problem is not with the screen while I use it in bed, it's the dock that stays bright for 1 minute. But I appreciate the thought!

The point is it will work great for your application as well

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

chinmyoozik

Reaction score
Bypass Dimming Timeout

I just touch the screen when the bedside dock app is fully lit (after plugging in my droid4) and it dims instantly, then touching it again brings it back to fully lit.