The recent CPU vulnerability and Android security

JandN2639

Reaction score
Our Samsung Galaxy S7 still doesn’t have Oreo. We’re near Chicago in the USA. Samsung really needs to improve their update process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Our Samsung Galaxy S7 still doesn’t have Oreo. We’re near Chicago in the USA. Samsung really needs to improve their update process.

Not sure why the S7 would have Oreo before the S8 & Note8. Typically current Flagship would get OS 1st the last gen.

JandN2639

Reaction score
Not sure why the S7 would have Oreo before the S8 & Note8. Typically current Flagship would get OS 1st the last gen.

I don’t understand why it takes so long for any model of phone to take almost a year to get the latest OS. Apple has several versions of iPhones and iPads, but each model that can accept the latest OS receives notification within less than 24 hours.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

but should those who got their phones first get the update first. It is just like standing in line for the ticket window to open, when the window open, would you be upset if those who just got in line got their tickets first?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don’t understand why it takes so long for any model of phone to take almost a year to get the latest OS. Apple has several versions of iPhones and iPads, but each model that can accept the latest OS receives notification within less than 24 hours.

Unfortunately with Android fragmentation there are so many vendors and different hardware configurations so releasing software will take longer even if it's just a mfg like Samsung. How many different phones they make is easily 4-5x Apple. Apple has 2 phones per year and they are nearly identical with HW except Plus with bigger screen and camera. Much easier to make software for only 1 type of configuration. Even if the go through 3-4 generations that's only a few configurations. Samsung would be probably 10× that over the same time period. This is the only pitfall with Android.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
but should those who got their phones first get the update first. It is just like standing in line for the ticket window to open, when the window open, would you be upset if those who just got in line got their tickets first?
I agree on this one but Manufacturers give empty promises. My DROID Turbo was promised M and I did get it well After my Force got N.

They try to push latest OS on Latest Phones to increase Sales. Older phone sales are non factor at that point.

Of course that is just my take on it all.

JandN2639

Reaction score
Unfortunately with Android fragmentation there are so many vendors and different hardware configurations so releasing software will take longer even if it's just a mfg like Samsung. How many different phones they make is easily 4-5x Apple. Apple has 2 phones per year and they are nearly identical with HW except Plus with bigger screen and camera. Much easier to make software for only 1 type of configuration. Even if the go through 3-4 generations that's only a few configurations. Samsung would be probably 10× that over the same time period. This is the only pitfall with Android.

Especially given the newly discovered chip vulnerabilities, this delay is not acceptable. Android needs to streamline firmware update delivery, and by a huge factor.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android isn't the problem, it's manufacturers and cell providers who take their time with updates.