The Froyo Thread is Ridiculous!

Sal

Reaction score
That main froyo thread is now at over 700 entries. Could the mods or whoever please break that up into sub-threads as it now encompasses so many issues/ideas.

I'm not sure why the mods are constantly forcing subtopics into it and making it harder to locate/ extract real info and forcing us to read for an hour through a lot of extraneous patter.

I tried to start a separate/specific thread on the two new music features of froyo a couple of days ago and that disappeared somewhere into the massive black hole of that one froyo thread, for example. Neither I or a mod I asked for help could find it. It's only worse today. This same kind of thing happened with the release of 2.1. I just don't understand. You can't delve any topic deeply this way.

How about a thread on the music features, one just about froyo tethering, another about the upgrade process itself, etc.? Keep the threads smaller and usable for those of us who don't have time to spend hours on the forum.

Thanks --

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

CK and I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. (We pm'd over it.) Why not keep it and threads like it separate. PLEASE!! No one can find it or add on to it -- in a meaningful way -- as more info is gleaned (since it is buried deep inside this beast.) This habit is my pet peeve about the forum. :icon_evil:Otherwise, I love it...:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

CK and I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. (We pm'd over it.) Why not keep it and threads like it separate. PLEASE!! No one can find it or add on to it -- in a meaningful way -- as more info is gleaned (since it is buried deep inside this beast.) This habit is my pet peeve about the forum. :icon_evil:Otherwise, I love it...:)

It's still open. Now you know where it is. Enjoy. :)

If you're suggesting a separate area for 2.2, that would be up to the admins. I'll pass it along and see what they say.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

If you're suggesting a separate area for 2.2, that would be up to the admins. I'll pass it along and see what they say.

But can we please make it a seperate thread again so OTHERS can find it and add to it and replies are not fifty pages later in the thread and I'll never find those. See what I mean. As froyo rolls out on N1 and the droid, I want people to add to it in one coherent, sequential thread. And I truly don't get why that's a problem in this case or others like it..

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Here's the bottom line: A thread about a possible android music store and OTA syncing of music coming along with Froyo is different than a general Froyo discussion thread. And they should both be allowed to exist -- separately.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

But can we please make it a seperate thread again so OTHERS can find it and add to it and replies are not fifty pages later in the thread and I'll never find those. See what I mean. As froyo rolls out on N1 and the droid, I want people to add to it in one coherent, sequential thread. And I truly don't get why that's a problem in this case or others like it..

I get your point Sal. In a nutshell we would have too many threads on the same subject. I understand you see your topic as unique and we do take that into consideration before we merge a one thread into another.

When we do allow more 2.2 threads then we start hearing from people who don't want to see that many 2.2 threads. There is nothing I can do about your thread at this point. As I said I can bring an idea forward of perhaps having a 2.2 area temporarily on the site to accommodate your request, but your thread is now merged. I can't make it into a sub topic.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score

I get your point Sal. In a nutshell we would have too many threads on the same subject. I understand you see your topic as unique and we do take that into consideration before we merge a one thread into another.

When we do allow more 2.2 threads then we start hearing from people who don't want to see that many 2.2 threads. There is nothing I can do about your thread at this point. As I said I can bring an idea forward of perhaps having a 2.2 area temporarily on the site to accommodate your request, but your thread is now merged. I can't make it into a sub topic.

And I get your points too. Anyway, thanks for your consideration...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 for a "upcoming android features" section.

If the issue is lots of 2.2 threads in the "Active Topics" view then this won't solve that. It will at least keep them in one area.

Maybe an example for 2.2 would be new threads created for each feature being included in the release as stickies up top then as other speculate/wish for other features or hear about them they sink or swim as most threads do. If the rumor/speculation turns out to be fact, then make it a sticky with the others up top. That would encourage w conversation on each topic...bluetooth, streaming audio, maps that stay oriented, JIT, faster browsers, etc. Folks who could care less about bluetooth wouldn't have to wade through those posts to get to the Flash stuff.

Reaction score
Ok Mods and Admins, go ahead and move this thread into the main one :):). jk jk jk. But it would have been funny as hell if you did.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 for a "upcoming android features" section.

If the issue is lots of 2.2 threads in the "Active Topics" view then this won't solve that. It will at least keep them in one area.

Maybe an example for 2.2 would be new threads created for each feature being included in the release as stickies up top then as other speculate/wish for other features or hear about them they sink or swim as most threads do. If the rumor/speculation turns out to be fact, then make it a sticky with the others up top. That would encourage w conversation on each topic...bluetooth, streaming audio, maps that stay oriented, JIT, faster browsers, etc. Folks who could care less about bluetooth wouldn't have to wade through those posts to get to the Flash stuff.

Here's the issue. Let's say we say ok, faster browsers. Someone creates a thread on faster browsers and it falls off the front page. You know as well as I do that people don't use the search. So a day goes by and someone else starts a thread on the same subject. How as moderators we suppose to keep track of all these "specialty" areas. Next thing you know we have 10 active threads on the same topic . Not meaning active in the active topics area but just threads that are taking up resources.

Then you say well, you can just merge those threads but then we have to do what the member should have done in the first place and search. And we'd have to do that with every "new" topic to make sure that this hasn't already been discussed.

We have 70K members now and only so many mods available during certain times. We have plenty to keep us busy as it is right now. And we don't want 50 threads on the same subject because then the members get sick of seeing it and start complaining, which also leads to flaming. I just don't see it as a doable idea.

I do think that it was a mistake to merge Sals thread, but hey, we're human you know? As I said we do take into consideration if the thread is unique. We don't want to just dump that into the 2.2 thread, we would like to see conversation on those.

Just giving you my point of view. Hope I explained it well.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good explanation Hook. I definitely see both sides. Make it manageable and usable.
No doubt it is much easier to toss all 2.2 threads into one bucket than to figure out that it belongs in the 2.2-Bluetooth vs 2.2-Flash thread. although, it might not be much harder because the thread is getting moved anyways. Especially if the 2.2 area is limited to one topic items which should be features that are known, or rumored to exist in it. If the main topics are sticky they are easy to find for merging.

Either way, the admins will figure something out. Not all suggestions are taken but I do get the strong feeling they are listened to and mulled over. Can't ask for more than that.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I'm now in the mood for some frozen yogurt.

Anyone wanna come?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is one 2.2 thread. Just as there was one 2.1 thread....

Period.