The FCC Broadband Speed App Thread

SilentJay

Reaction score
This program has to be from Speedtest.net. It looks almost identical. So with our tax dollars the FCC bought a program from a company that gives the program away for free? In the fine print they also are collecting IP address and location info when you run the test.

Lol ya speedtest.net is the same darn thing, except speedtest.net's app is stable! And of course they're collecting info, they aren't giving something for free because they care :p lmao nice fcc :p

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Repeated FC's here, too.

As others have noted, this is not a gift from the FCC. That doesn't mean, however, that it isn't worthwhile. What's going on is an effort to collect data on broadband performance from a large number of devices scattered throughout the country. The reason for restricting the number of servers is to identify the impact of distance from servers and internet bottlenecks.

SandsUSA

Reaction score
On 3G against Seattle, WA server from office in Denver, CO

Down: .86
Up: .65
Latency: 387ms

Running Droidmod at 800mhz

Edit: I'm in downtown Denver. Does anyone have a guess as to why my speeds seem significantly slower?
I'm in Littleton and Highlands Ranch and my speeds are about the same as yours. Grrrr. My boss's iPhone kicked my ass.

OP
justbob

justbob

Reaction score
FYI, there's an update for the app in the market right now. Hopefully it will fix some of the FC issues.

gdwsr44

Reaction score
Speed Test

Running test from northern michigan to new york server:
DL 1.31 Mbps
UL .69 Mbps
Lat 133

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Edit: I'm in downtown Denver. Does anyone have a guess as to why my speeds seem significantly slower?
I'm in Littleton and Highlands Ranch and my speeds are about the same as yours. Grrrr. My boss's iPhone kicked my ass.

Running the same app?

Riley

Reaction score
I just downloaded it and get a FC everytime it finishes a test. i get better results using Speedtest too. hmmm.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded it and get a FC everytime it finishes a test. i get better results using Speedtest too. hmmm.

The FC's apparently stem from the app's effort to store the results of its test. As for "getting better results" from other apps, that's not surprising. It appears that the FCC test is intentionally limited to a few servers so valid comparisons can be drawn among devices and locations.

My guess is that the app is a tiny part of the FCC's broader effort to analyze and improve broadband access across the country.

Vast F.C.C. Plan Would Bring Net to More in U.S. - NYTimes.com

zakany

Reaction score
If they can't be arsed to verify that their software works before publishing it, then I don't trust it on my phone. I expect better out of high school students - let alone anyone paid to write software.

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Speedtest.net has one out, its free and seems to work better. Or should I say more consistantly for all of my devices.

jrod1990

Reaction score

I'm in Pueblo and am getting
Down .73
Up .48
Latency 186