The Droid Failure

jmrome

Reaction score
This is a list of basics to Mobile PC that CAN NOT be preformed with the Droid:
1) Can't view a Tiff file
2) Can't save any type of file (except jpg)
3) Can't cut, copy & paste sections from an email or browser
4) Can't access SD card (except through a computer)
5) Can't call a number if an extension or description is written next to number (e.g. xxx-xxx-xxxx direct) results in Verizon can't connect call.
6) Can't access call log history or other applications while in phone conversation, must use "only speaker mode" to enable changes
7) Can't make "one touch" calling (no phone tags); no key assignments
8) Can't tether (update expected 1st Qtr 2010)
9) Can't leave a voice note
10) Can't send a self recorded "wav" file by email.
11) Can't attach a file for sending
12) Can't connect my bluetooth "Think Outside the Box" portable keyboard. It will pair but won't connect.
13) Can't call Motorola US for help, outsourced to 3rd world & difficult language barrier with no solutions.

As a personal device assistant (PDA) the Droid is a comfortable, slick piece of equipment that has potential to be the Verizon "iPhone" replacement but as yet it doesn't appear to even be close. So, I am returning my Droid, going back to my sad old PC Mobile technology & wait for the "iPhone" to be released by Verizon in the 4th Qtr of 2010.

I may not have as much fun using my old "smart phone"; but at least I will be able to "work" productively. COMMENTS?

Monstrosity

Reaction score
1. Idk
2. I'm pretty sure you can, get a file manager.
3.Yes you can, its very easy, theres demo's for it, find one.
4. Yes you can get a file manager.
5. Idk
6. Uhm why is it necassary why not on speaker, that way u can hear the other person?
7.Idk
8. Yes you can, just got to know how.
9. Idk.
10. Idk
11. Yes you can, get a file manager liek Astro
12. Idk
13. I'm sure you can call motorola suppport some way or another.

Just find apps for things, most things i said IDK for probably has an app for that.

The phone has an app market to do a lot of stuff and me customizable and let you do anything you need it to.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Farewell...we need an army. Not a democracy full of infidels.

Some of your points are actually faulty but there is no use discussing.

DroidFan

Reaction score
3) Hmmm... I can, so I know it can be done.
5) This is a VZW issue, not a droid issue...I had the same problem with my BB Pearl.
7) I made shortcuts for "direct dial" on one of my home pages, so I have one-touch dialing.

I can't speak to the other issues you've listed though...

texasPI

Reaction score
So...you signed up to this site and make this your first post? I'm sorry but guerilla tactics will get you nowhere with me as evidence by this hit and run post. I bet you won't even stick around to see the follow up posts. Name the perfect phone for you that does EVERYTHING you want on it. No such thing.

Personally, I love mine. Like LordKastle said...no use in discussing the inaccuracies in your post. We all know you'll be secretly coveting this phone...

See ya!

LordKastle

Reaction score
Or he is simply A. a troll... or B. on the payroll of AT&T or Apple to help submit propaganda to various forums and internet hotspots.

Monstrosity

Reaction score
and btw Who said Verizon is getting an iPhone, not likely IMHO, but there are a lot of rumors about it, and there always have been and will be.

bergdev

Reaction score
jmrome, I'm pretty sure most of what you're saying can't be done is incorrect - I'm doing it myself. Rather than go into detail on each one, I would suggest you poke around in this forum and learn. But if you don't feel like doing that, that's OK, too.

raqball

Reaction score
If the device is not for you or does not do what you need it to do, you are free to use what you like...

The Droid will not be for everyone...

subguy812

Reaction score
I found out one thing you can't do on your Mobile PC....spellcheck, the word performed is spelled as I have spelled it not as you spelled it preformed.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
5) Can't call a number if an extension or description is written next to number (e.g. xxx-xxx-xxxx direct) results in Verizon can't connect call.
6) Can't access call log history or other applications while in phone conversation, must use "only speaker mode" to enable changes
12) Can't connect my bluetooth "Think Outside the Box" portable keyboard. It will pair but won't connect.
13) Can't call Motorola US for help, outsourced to 3rd world & difficult language barrier with no solutions.

Dude, you need to read you manual and learn something about your device, you are just plain dead wrong about 10 of your points and the other 3 most likely are due to your lack of knowledge and understanding of what you are dealing with.

The Droid is obviously WAY over your head, you should stick to a Razr, it sounds like you MIGHT be able to handle that...maybe.

LordKastle

Reaction score
No he needs to go back to AT&T and Apple. He belongs there with the rest of the sheep.

There he can have his operating system shoved down his throat. He can have his applications dictated to him from the powers that be. Then he can sit and be content without worrying about how to actually use the phone.

Don't give a 4 year old kid Legos...give him big building blocks. It just works out better...they may choke on anything smaller.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
You're correct. So far there are no apps I can find to view TIFF files.

This depends on what app you're using. For example, there is an app that will actually allow you to read and edit Microsoft Office documents.

Try the Menu button once in a while. Works for me in both e-mails and web browsing, has a "select text" feature, whch then leads you to be able to cut and paste that text you've selected. I also belive "Menu + e" works to get you into text-selecting mode, too.

Get a File Manager app from the Marketplace. I use AndroZip. Free.

I don't think this is specific to the Droid... My old Motorola KRZR K1m did this too...

Simply not true. At any time you can press the Home key to go back to the home screen while you're talking. Then pull up any app you want, including the Phone app, wherein you can access your Call Log. As long as the app isn't accessing the internet, you're fine - Verizon's network will not allow both voice and data to travel over the same line at the same time. This is a limitation of Verizon, not the Droid.

Long-press on your Home Screen. Select Shortcut. Create a shortcut to that person in your contacts list. Voila -- one touch dialing straight from your home screen.

You are correct. Verizon will allow tethering in a couple of months. In the meantime, you can probably find some tips on how to "illegally" tether your phone to your computer. Just don't let Verizon catch you...

I assume you mean create a voice note for yourself, that you can play back later? There are literally dozens of apps (both paid and free) that will allow you to record sound files on the phone directly.

These problems are both the same thing. You can attach any picture or video file you've recorded. I'm not sure, but I think you can get a better e-mail app in the Marketplace, which will actually allow you to browse through all the files on your SD card, instead of just the media files that the built-in e-mail app lets you browse through. But I don't know that for certain.

This I cannot help you with. I've never used a Bluetooth keyboard of any type, on any device whatsoever. Hopefully someone here will have some tips for you.

And where have you been for the last 20 years? This is most definitely not a problem that's limited to the Motorola Droid. Welcome to America in the 21st Century.

As a personal device assistant (PDA) the Droid is a comfortable, slick piece of equipment that has potential to be the Verizon "iPhone" replacement but as yet it doesn't appear to even be close. So, I am returning my Droid, going back to my sad old PC Mobile technology & wait for the "iPhone" to be released by Verizon in the 4th Qtr of 2010.

I may not have as much fun using my old "smart phone"; but at least I will be able to "work" productively. COMMENTS?
Yes. Rather than simply bashing the Droid outright, perhaps you could ask for help first? Sure, there are things you've said here that do not (now) have solutions. But they will as soon as people realize there is a need for a given app, and then write said app. Give it time. It will only get better, as the software gets better.

bergdev

Reaction score
Response

Rather than evangelize our choice of using the Droid, we might just consider letting this thread die a natural death. The biggest problem I have with Apple bigots is their religious devotion to the brand. I am seeing similar things in this thread. Geez, it's just a phone after all <albeit a really cool and functional one!>

meh8036

Reaction score
I had an iPhone for 18 months and here is a list of stuff that CAN NOT be preformed with the iPhone:

1) Can't customize
2) Can't get apps outside the app store
3) Can't tether
4) Can't record video (3g)
5) Cant zoom or flash on camera
6) Barely any menu options
7) Very limited multitasking
8) No insurance through ATT
9) Bluetooth is only good for connecting a headset
10) You can only send one picture at a time in an email
11) Can't expand memory
12) Can't change battery

there are more... those are just off the top of my head issues that i hated and tried to live my life around... not anymore though :)