Thanks to Verizon's loss of unlimited data, I need to find a new provider ASAP

GuitarSkater

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have been with verizon for years but now that they canned their unlimited data I need to find a new host. I tried to keep grandfathered in and use any loophole possible to keep my data, but it didn't work out. I am in the military and I regularly used tethering on my DROID 4 for internet (using the sql edit to skip the subscription check)

My thing is I need the unlimited data, and ultimately I would like to tether it off my phone and not pay extra for the mobile hotspot packages. I was looking into sprint and their unlimited everything package. My question is this, is there any current sprint phones that I can achieve this (rooting, tethering, and unlimited data fix)

I have been too busy recently to research this on my own, and I have been a great supporter of this site and its support so I figured I would just post my situation. Any info and input is greatly appreciated

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
How so, I still have unlimited data, and thousands of others still have unlimited data. I am sure Verizon did not just take only your unlimited data away, if you want to get a new phone you can keep your unlimited data by buying the phone outright, now if you want the phone to be subsidized by Verizon, then yes your unlimited will be no more, you where not too clear in how Verizon took away your unlimited data. In regards to a new carrier, have you checked out T-Mobile, they offer unlimited data, phone and text with free 2.5Gigs of tethering for $70, don't know how reliable they are in your neck of the woods.

OP
GuitarSkater

GuitarSkater

Reaction score
Yes, I should have been more clear. I had a family plan with 5 lines on it but two of the phones were broken and needed replaced and doing so would create a new contract which doesn't have unlimited data. We tried to do the assumption of liability on my phone and pay month to month and purchase the phones at retail price, creating sub accounts, and a few other ways... but when they tried to convert it over the system would automatically drop my data down because of my usage which varies from 25gb to 50gb/mo. I have a friend that works for Verizon and he was the one who tried all these loopholes to keep the data, he said that the way the system is now you can't override what it deems.

Nevertheless, I need a new carrier and Verizon is not an option, as you can see I truly need the unlimited data portion too.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I'm on verizon unlimited still grandfathered also.
i'm looking at t mobile for their data (i think i'll do 2.5 instead of unlimited)
the biggest push for me is the addition of world wide extension of your data and texting for no additional charge.
being that the two countries i can currently deploy to are covered under T-mobiles new umbrella.

now i'm looking at either the nexus 5 or the sony xperia z1s

(tmobie gives a 15% discount, to plan only, not to phones )
also
first line is 50$
second is 30$
3,4,5 are all 10$ each
so... if you have some buddies in your detachment, troop, ship, what ever service you are in. you can all hook each other up.

Edit:

After seeing your signature, marines?
and seeing your second post.
yeah their family plan looks like a great deal.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why not buy your phone at retail and keep unlimited?

TatDroid

Reaction score
I guess I'm not clear on what "purchase the phones at retail and create sub accounts" means. I'm on a Verizon family plan with 4 phones with unlimited data. If a phone needs to be replaced (due to age or damage) I buy a new one at retail and activate it. Nothing changes on the plan. I'm not sure what your "sub-accounts" are.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya I just got my wife a Moto X and kept unlimited data. I use a dumbphone on my family plan to upgrade my other 2 smart phones when I have upgrades available. Activate the phone, then call Verizon and have them switch the smart phone to the old number and put the dumb phone under contract for the new phone.

Most others network speeds are inferior to Verizon's which will make using 25-50gigs probably impossible on a slower network.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The Moto x is a decent price right now thru Valentines day.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sprint does not offer unlimited tethering. You can get 6gb of tethering for $50 and then each additional gb is $15.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Hopper20

Reaction score
can you still transfer an upgrade from a unlimited line to a line with 2gb data then activate the new phone on the unlimited line and not lose unlimited?

my account has 3 lines

line 1 and 2 have unlimited.
line 3 has 2gb

line 1 upgrade is today. line 2 is friday.

can i transfer line 1's upgrade to line 3, get new phone and put it on line 1 and keep unlimited?

second ?

can i do this again with line 2 on friday?