Texting skin

Avalanche

Reaction score
I am using BBv0.4 with Smoked Glass and I wanted to know if I am just missing how to change the way my texts look or if it is not an option. What I was wanting was my text screen to look like the smoked glass theme instead of the stock theme.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
i've also been looking for the messaging app to be dark/smoked themed but no luck so far. =(

OP
A

Avalanche

Reaction score
I guess it needs to be done as an extra or something but I really like SG ...just dont like that vanilla text.

Z

ZeroBarrier

I recommend using handcent from the market, free download and highly customizable. Word of caution, it uses the stock mms.apk to send mms, so don't delete it.

Reaction score
+1 to handcent. ive been using it for months now and its never let me down :) plenty of ways to customize stuff which makes everything so much better.

hett

Reaction score
As someone who hates Handcent, I'd also like to see a skinned version of the SMS app.

bigillz

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but what's wrong with handcent? I've been using it for months; it has a number of features the stock messaging doesn't and all its extra features can be turned off.. Of particular note for me, adding recipients is awesome since for a mass text I can pull up my contact list and check off anyone I want to receive it.

ACalcutt

Reaction score
what is there to theme in the mms app? All I really see are a grey bar and a send button. I am a google voice user...so i never really use the real mms app.

It looks like black droid has a themed mms app. you could always use his metamorph version and just apply the mms theme
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-2-froyo-update-zip-metamorph-back-stock.html
EDIT: looks like the FRF84B metamorph version hasn't been released yet, but i would bet the older FRF57 metamorph mms theme (don't apply all...just mms ...make a backup ;-)) would work.

Last edited:
OP
A

Avalanche

Reaction score
what is there to theme in the mms app? All I really see are a grey bar and a send button. I am a google voice user...so i never really use the real mms app.

It looks like black droid has a themed mms app. you could always use his metamorph version and just apply the mms theme
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-2-froyo-update-zip-metamorph-back-stock.html
EDIT: looks like the FRF84B metamorph version hasn't been released yet, but i would bet the older FRF57 metamorph mms theme (don't apply all...just mms ...make a backup ;-)) would work.

Like have the reply in a dark grey and have the other in black or something. The stock one is white and baby blue...yuk. Also the pic has that stock frame around it which could also be smoked glass.

I know a lot of us would love it if you did it pweeeeeeese! :icon_ banana:

Z

ZeroBarrier

As someone who hates Handcent, I'd also like to see a skinned version of the SMS app.

You can make handcent look like the stock SMS app, so why exactly do you hate it?

+1

Handcent is horrible imo

Same as above, you can make it look like a skinned version of the stock SMS app, so why is it horrible again?

Like have the reply in a dark grey and have the other in black or something. The stock one is white and baby blue...yuk. Also the pic has that stock frame around it which could also be smoked glass.

I know a lot of us would love it if you did it pweeeeeeese! :icon_ banana:
And again, you can make handcent look like the stock SMS app just skinned dark, so why not just use handcent?

I really don't understand the deal with people hating hancent so damn much and loving the stock SMS app, but hating that they can't skin it when they can make handcent look just like the very thing they are looking for!!!

MagicMiloX

Reaction score
I recommend using handcent from the market, free download and highly customizable. Word of caution, it uses the stock mms.apk to send mms, so don't delete it.

I've been wondering if I should delete the stock messenger for a while, glad to finally know.

lucas.scott

Reaction score
Handcent has more "features" without a doubt. But in my opinion everything is too ...generic looking or something . i have spent hours tweaking handcent , and while you can change the message body itself , you are still left with big ugly boarders around the body. You can do a lot to handcent ...except make it look sleek . Its always so big and intrusive. I stick to stock messaging app. Cyanogen mod 6 with the droid X has some light skinning on the stock app ,which is what im using now . Still blue and white boxes , but has added some nice things. Signed up for Android App Inventor . My first plan of acstion is to try and make a sexy sms app .Simple and clean .

hett

Reaction score
Even with Handcent set to mimic the stock SMS app, it has big iPhone UI bits all over it. That is unacceptable to me.