Text Notification Questions

JackiA

Reaction score
I am really liking my Fascinate A LOT (had a Droid X before, which I returned for a few reasons). There are a couple of things I am trying to figure out. For instance...
I started out using the native email app and liked it except that it showed a preview of the text in the notification bar, which I didn't like. So I got Handcent, which I like for its customization. But, now I don't get the special puzzle piece on my lock screen when I have a new text message.

So, my question: Is there a way to either:
a) set the native text appl so that there is no content preview in the notification bar, or
b) with Handcent still have the special puzzle piece show up on your lock screen when you have a new text message?

Follow up question -- if I go back to the native text app, is there a way to increase the font size of incoming and outgoing messages? I don't want to have to put my reading glasses on everytime I get a text.

epic_engineering

Reaction score
I am really liking my Fascinate A LOT (had a Droid X before, which I returned for a few reasons). There are a couple of things I am trying to figure out. For instance...
I started out using the native email app and liked it except that it showed a preview of the text in the notification bar, which I didn't like. So I got Handcent, which I like for its customization. But, now I don't get the special puzzle piece on my lock screen when I have a new text message.

a) set the native text appl so that there is no content preview in the notification bar, or
b) with Handcent still have the special puzzle piece show up on your lock screen when you have a new text message?

Follow up question -- if I go back to the native text app, is there a way to increase the font size of incoming and outgoing messages? I don't want to have to put my reading glasses on everytime I get a text.

Swap to ChompSMS its super customizable, font, font size, text color for incoming and outgoing text, as well as the text bubble. you can even get rid of the text preview that you speak of scrolling across the notification bar.. even though I like it.. and if thats not enough you can even change the size and color of the notification Icon on the notification bar..

And lastly download noLED from the market its free, it creates and on screen led for visual notification for emails, text, etc.. that customizable and its just awesome.. I was weary about it at first but after a few second I realized that it wont have any more negative affect on the battery than a normal LED..

And that was one of the biggest things I missed on the Fascinate..

OP
J

JackiA

Reaction score
Thanks epic_engineering. Handcent does all those things that ChompSMS does, too, and so overall I am happy with it. I suspect, too, that with ChompSMS or any replacement of the native text app I still would lose the special puzzle piece on the lock screen. I can live without it. It is more important to me that the messages not show a preview in the notification bar and I've accomplished that with Handcent.

Now...if only an update would come along soon to fix the problem with messages that contain over 160 characters being broken into segments....hopefully soon.

Steeeler

Reaction score
And lastly download noLED from the market its free, it creates and on screen led for visual notification for emails, text, etc.. that customizable and its just awesome.. I was weary about it at first but after a few second I realized that it wont have any more negative affect on the battery than a normal LED..

Did you do any tests to see if there was a battery draw with Noled? I think its a great app and great replacement for such a huge shortcoming on the Fascinate (how can you build a top of line phone with no LED notifications?) but I understand it wakes the whole phone up and keeps it on with a black screen while it gives out the notification.

The app keeps getting better everyday. If can rest easy on the battery draw, I can live with this app instead of an LED notification.

HiHater

Reaction score
Is there a way to customize the color of the bubbles and text on the native sms messaging on the samsung fascinate? I dont want to download handcent or chomp and have messages popping up in two different apps.

denmarq30

Reaction score

Go into the settings of Handcent and under Notification Settings > Notification Settings check the box that says Privacy Mode.

zero7starz

Reaction score
The "bugg" with splitting 160 characters isn't really a bug its verizon. It seems to happen when the person whos texting you is not on the vzw network. Reason being, if you send a message to a vzw customer that is more than 160 characters, it will only send the first 160. Therefor, most phones split in 160 incerments. Now sometimes, a bugg will occure when their not sent in order =\ which could make things somewhat confusing.

tlogank

Reaction score
Is there a way to customize the color of the bubbles and text on the native sms messaging on the samsung fascinate? I dont want to download handcent or chomp and have messages popping up in two different apps.

you won't, you can disable the default text app and only get notifications from Handcent/ChompSMS.

jb71080

Reaction score
puzzle pieces

I only get the text message puzzle piece. I have never seen a missed call one and I have seen it in videos etc. Can this be fixed?