Text messaging very slow. Tons of lag.

cs3

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue with Verizon's network, or just my phone, but I have been experiencing a ton of lag for the past week when trying to send texts.
After hitting "send" the pending outgoing icon takes 10-15 minutes to go away and let me know the message was sent, and sometimes just stays indefinitely.
I have no idea if the messages are being delivered or not.
So I usually end up copy/pasting the message and re-sending it to make sure it went through.

When sending group messages, it seems like it only delivers to a few of the recipients, while the rest just get stuck pending.

I mostly use Handcent (and it is up to date), but this is also happening with the factory messenger.
My wife has a Droid Razr M and has not had this problem fwiw.

This is in Fremont, CA 94536 if that makes any difference.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How many messages do you have saved up in your messaging apps? You can try deleting the ones you don't need to hang onto anymore and see if that helps. You can also try clearing the cache of both apps to see if it helps. If neither of those help I would go to Verizon and ask about possibly getting your SIM card exchanged as waiting that long for a message to send is certainly unusual.

I frequent Fremont area alot myself and have never had an issue regarding text messages when I had my Nexus. How's your signal usually around the area?

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!
I just cleared the cache for both apps, and am now going through and deleting message threads I dont need.
Really hoping this fixes my issue.
I will post later today with the verdict.

My signal strength:
View attachment 64775
I have no idea what a strong/weak/normal signal level is.

Question - if i were to "clear data" for the text apps would that wipe all my settings and delete all my messages?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's a pretty weak signal, like call dropping signal from what I've heard. As for improving it I'm not sure, do you use a case or anything?

The lower the dbm the better the signal. Hovering around -100dbm usually is poor. I think alot of people average around the mid -80s to low -90s

Last edited: