Texas Instruments Designs Tiny Qi Chip for Wireless Charging

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
There's already some experimentation out there for wireless charging. Don't think they've successfully gotten it to work very well beyond a few inches/feet, though.

Wouldn't that be something if your 3G/LTE service also charged your phone? Even if not very efficient (say 25% charge in 4 hours) it would be enough to make it through the day for even heavy users.

I believe Nokia had a model prototype that was supposed to charge from various stray energy sources like wifi and radio freqs. I saw it on some tech show but never heard more about it. That was a couple years ago, and probably prohibitively expensive.

sent from somewhere...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think we're talking about similar things. I can remember wondering "how are they going to fit this in the spectrum & my microwave still work?"

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Sounds cool although wireless charging isn't a huge advantage really in my mind it's really not that hard to plug a cable into my phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Are you mad? It goes in one way, for Bob's sake! If you get it wrong you have to turn the plug over!

I sometimes try to put it in sideways or i once tried sticking the wall prongs into the phone that didn't go well :/

I've tried to put the damn plug in upside down several times. Pull it apart and dully stare at it, oh, yeah turn it over dummy.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think we're talking about similar things. I can remember wondering "how are they going to fit this in the spectrum & my microwave still work?"

Yeah, I saw this in an article about a team from MIT. Forget the dates, maybe 2007. I believe they had proof of concept for several feet away, so it would seem not far off from perhaps working in any decent sized room or office. Although the efficiency might cost you $10 a month instead of $2.

didn't know about Nokia. Who knows, maybe in 5 years we'll have this. Cutting all the cord clutter for mobile devices would be a pretty big deal and worth a premium for both the energy cost and "charger" itself.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I agree. The fact that its even possible to charge this way is pretty amazing. They said initially it probably wouldn't "charge" so much as sustain the phone with light use. Either way will be a big step forward.

sent from somewhere...