Tethering Question, Non BB Related.

imati0n

Reaction score
I figured I would ask this question since I only frequent this forum.

I just moved and I am staying in a temporary house for two weeks. I decided not to get internet installed since I am now tethering from my phone.

I have the unlimited data plan so will VZW get iffy or will I get any issues on my billing statement for using so much data?

Thanks in advance everyone.

ski

Reaction score
if they question you, ask them to prove that you didnt do all data directly on your phone (i doubt they will care)

btw.. i think our "unlimited" data plan is still only like 4 or 6gb though, so be careful

exdirrk

Reaction score
I figured I would ask this question since I only frequent this forum.

I just moved and I am staying in a temporary house for two weeks. I decided not to get internet installed since I am now tethering from my phone.

I have the unlimited data plan so will VZW get iffy or will I get any issues on my billing statement for using so much data?

Thanks in advance everyone.

They will not do or notice anything. I have used well over 10 gigs in a single month without getting anything.

exdirrk

Reaction score
if they question you, ask them to prove that you didnt do all data directly on your phone (i doubt they will care)

btw.. i think our "unlimited" data plan is still only like 4 or 6gb though, so be careful

It is truely unlimited. Only the aircards and bb tethering is limited

Raziel36

Reaction score
This is good news, as I've used 8+Gigs this month and was worried. I streamed UFC 116 last weekend, and that was about 1.5 gigs alone... though, nice to know my phone can keep up with a live stream, with no stalls or buffer issues.

Z

ZeroBarrier

This is the type of crap that leads companies like verizon to do away with unlimited data plans and charge all of us insane amounts of money for smaller data plans.

Thanks a lot guys, your guys have done an excellent job in helping us getting screwed over.

:clap:

:icon_rolleyes:

Raziel36

Reaction score
Get off your soapbox, dude.. I am having to stay with family that doesn't have internet, I have no job, due to a heart condition that I just had surgery for last Tuesday, going through a divorce and my wife currently lives with another man.. by god, if I use my paid for data to keep me occupied, it's my right to do so. You think if I was able, I wouldn't much rather have my 10mb cable service back? I use what I have to get by.. that make you any better than me?!.. sorry, but no.. it doesn't.

OP
imati0n

imati0n

Reaction score
This is the type of crap that leads companies like verizon to do away with unlimited data plans and charge all of us insane amounts of money for smaller data plans.

Thanks a lot guys, your guys have done an excellent job in helping us getting screwed over.

:clap:

:icon_rolleyes:

Yeah because I'm paying almost 200 dollars a month to use these services....

Get off your high horse..

:rolleyes:

Raziel36

Reaction score
And for the record, other than the ufc, that was all done ON my phone. I haven't had much use for the PC lately.

Z

ZeroBarrier

Get off your soapbox, dude.. I am having to stay with family that doesn't have internet, I have no job, due to a heart condition that I just had surgery for last Tuesday

Just because you don't have the financial resources to pay for an internet service or to live in a place where you can get said internet service, doesn't give you any right to break the Terms of Service to your will.

going through a divorce and my wife currently lives with another man.. by god
How is that our fault? And what does that have to do with breaking the ToS?

I'm not about to show you sympathy just because you pull out some whiny, depressing sob story.

if I use my paid for data to keep me occupied, it's my right to do so.
No, you don't have any right to do so. I suggest you read up on the Terms of Service.

Terms & Conditions

And I quote:
Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
You think if I was able, I wouldn't much rather have my 10mb cable service back? I use what I have to get by.. that make you any better than me?!.. sorry, but no.. it doesn't.
I never said I was better than you or anyone else; that's your own personal opinion and you should keep it to yourself, but at least I'm not doing something that's against the ToS, and as a result, don't screw a good thing up for others.

Yeah because I'm paying almost 200 dollars a month to use these services....

Get off your high horse..

:rolleyes:

Get a cheaper plan then.

I'm on a high horse because I point out an indisputable fact? Please...

Raziel36

Reaction score
Well, Mr. Never done a damn thing wrong, must be nice to be you. Never downloaded a song without paying? Never jaywalked or violated any laws? Circumstanses happen, and if you were in the shoes of someone like myself, I'm sure you'd just do without, based on morals, right? WTF are you doing on a phone hacking site, then? Why would you do something to your phone that cancels your warranty?(rooting and roms)

Z

ZeroBarrier

Well, Mr. Never done a damn thing wrong, must be nice to be you. Never downloaded a song without paying? Never jaywalked or violated any laws? Circumstanses happen, and if you were in the shoes of someone like myself, I'm sure you'd just do without, based on morals, right? WTF are you doing on a phone hacking site, then? Why would you do something to your phone that cancels your warranty?(rooting and roms)

Never downloaded a song that wasn't given freely by the artist without paying, never jaywalked, never violated any laws (in the country I was residing at the time) and yes, I have been there, I have gone without.

Think about that phone hacking site comment for a moment, is it against the ToS or against the law? No, it might cancel your warranty, but that's my choice because I payed for my phone and as such, it's my property in full (read I don't owe anyone a dime for it nor am I using the hardware under rules set forth by someone else; yes, I do use their service, but the hardware is still my property).

And I really don't consider Rooting as hacking; I believe it's returning it's original functionality. Using a Linux based system without the ability to run certain commands as a root user is just a waste.

Raziel36

Reaction score
Much like religion, just because you choose to live that way doesn't mean you have any right to try and make or expect everyone else to do the same. Chastising people, who most likely are adults, for their use of their phones, will not change anything. Picking on 2 people for something that thousands have pissed you off by doing, may relieve some stress, but what's the point?? lol

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Easy guys.....the mods and admins don't like to see this kind of discussion going on here at Droidforums.
I'd hate to see anyone get banned.

Let's try to stay on topic.
As far as the original question, the unlimited plan truely is unlimited. Quite a few people go over the mythical 5gb limit and have never suffered ill-effects from Verizon.
Verizon is very capable of telling how data was used on the phone. They have a program to tell if it was being used by your phone or if it was used by tethering.
So the possibility of getting 'caught' is real...and could lead to problems with your contract.
However, it is EXTREMELY unlikely Verzion will bother with such a thing unless everybody and their brother starts downloading 20gbs/month.
So, imati0n, I'd say your safe ;)

Z

ZeroBarrier

Much like religion, just because you choose to live that way doesn't mean you have any right to try and make or expect everyone else to do the same. Chastising people, who most likely are adults, for their use of their phones, will not change anything. Picking on 2 people for something that thousands have pissed you off by doing, may relieve some stress, but what's the point?? lol

Not for their use of their phones, but for the misuse of their service; and don't I have the right when it ultimately affects me (like when Verizon decides to do away with unlimited data plans because users abuse tethering; watch UFC streamed and then Wi-Fi tether Xbox 360's and PS3's)?

Easy guys.....the mods and admins don't like to see this kind of discussion going on here at Droidforums.
I'd hate to see anyone get banned.

Let's try to stay on topic.
As far as the original question, the unlimited plan truely is unlimited. Quite a few people go over the mythical 5gb limit and have never suffered ill-effects from Verizon.
Verizon is very capable of telling how data was used on the phone. They have a program to tell if it was being used by your phone or if it was used by tethering.
So the possibility of getting 'caught' is real...and could lead to problems with your contract.
However, it is EXTREMELY unlikely Verzion will bother with such a thing unless everybody and their brother starts downloading 20gbs/month.
So, imati0n, I'd say your safe ;)

We'll suffer soon enough, once Verizon changes their data plans to limited. Don't you think?