*TERRIBLE* Streaming Video Quality

entrepreneur724

Reaction score
So I've been messing around with streaming video from major websites and apps, YouTube, TV.com, etc.

With every site, the video is tiny (half the screen size but centered) and the quality is garbage (pixelated and grainy). I am used to an iPod touch where all the video, even streaming, is very smooth and polished.

Is there a setting I'm not seeing that can alter the video, or just simply a way to make it full screen and gorgeous (smooth) like it should be?

misaac

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to hit the menu button while the video is playing, hit more, the select "watch in high quality".

I'm guessing on this a little bit because I don't have my phone near me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

OP
E

entrepreneur724

Reaction score
So that is great if you're on YouTube, but what about any other sites that stream video? Most of them do not allow you press the menu button for HD.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is the fault of the website that is streaming the video if you are getting horrible quality (unless you are in an area where the coverage is not good). Nothing we can do about that other than contact the website and ask for it to be optimized for viewing on mobile phones.

OP
E

entrepreneur724

Reaction score
It is the fault of the website that is streaming the video if you are getting horrible quality (unless you are in an area where the coverage is not good). Nothing we can do about that other than contact the website and ask for it to be optimized for viewing on mobile phones.

This sounds about right. I guess I'll be sending some e-mails. :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I've been messing around with streaming video from major websites and apps, YouTube, TV.com, etc.

With every site, the video is tiny (half the screen size but centered) and the quality is garbage (pixelated and grainy). I am used to an iPod touch where all the video, even streaming, is very smooth and polished.

Is there a setting I'm not seeing that can alter the video, or just simply a way to make it full screen and gorgeous (smooth) like it should be?

^^ this.

what people tend to forget is the iPRODUCTS limited resolution. video and gameplay may have seemed smoother on those Apple products, but you were dealing with less than half of the resolution of the DROID. most of those sites catered to iPRODUCTS, so all of their mobile streaming media was geared towards the lower resolution.

there's nothing anyone can do about it until we get flash support or unless the sites change their settings.

i do, however, wish there was hardware scaling on the DROID so we could fill the entire screen.

Incognito631

Reaction score
I cant believe I couldn't find more on this topic. I'm kinda upset how bad the video looks. The guy I work with is always watching stuff on his iphone and it looks good to me. It fills the screen. Looks pretty clear to me. When I go to the same sites I get not a full screen and the worst looking picture. It seems like half the resolution on the iphone video. I thought I could show off the video with the youtube clips but thats it?!!?
I don't even watch that much youtube. I hope this gets resolved

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cant believe I couldn't find more on this topic. I'm kinda upset how bad the video looks. The guy I work with is always watching stuff on his iphone and it looks good to me. It fills the screen. Looks pretty clear to me. When I go to the same sites I get not a full screen and the worst looking picture. It seems like half the resolution on the iphone video. I thought I could show off the video with the youtube clips but thats it?!!?
I don't even watch that much youtube. I hope this gets resolved
lol that's because the iphone is half the resolution of the DROID. the posts above clearly explain this.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup. It's like watching SD on an HDTV. It's going to look worse on the HDTV than the SDTV. That doesn't mean that the SDTV is better.