Temperature

rjm5151

Reaction score
I haven't really been able to find anywhere what temperature guidelines the droid usually fits into. Curious what is a normal temperature during say 15-20 minutes of browsing. The battery widget that lists the temperature tells me mine is commonly over 100 during times when I'm using it and it does feel pretty warm.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's common for it to feel warm. Most of the heat is from the battery/power-supply and not the CPU (it takes a LOT of power to drive our displays and radios). Arm has not released official temp ranges so... but being a modern processor we can likely assume it monitors the system and will shut itself down before any damage is done.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What you're browsing can make a difference as well. Not all sites are equal so "normal after 15-20 minutes of browsing" (and what about other apps?) is difficult to state.

Istus

Reaction score
I've always experienced warming of batteries when they are used/charged. Here is a reply from the Motorola Support forums regarding battery heat.

Any battery will warm under use and charging. Lithium batteries have an optium temperature range between 80-140 F. Additionally, their shelf life is approximately 2 years whether they're used or not. Is your battery getting warmer than 140 degrees? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice to know. I saw mine at 110 today and I felt that was a bit high.

DracoZaroff

Reaction score
Mine hit 120F once. I'm not sure why though. It happened while it was charging. According to my monitoring app it even started to discharge while it was plugged in when this happened.
It's possible that it was trying to find a cell signal for a long time. There's something about the town I live in that blocks all radio signals so it's hard to even get a connection to the tower only 2 miles out of town.
I suspected that there might be something wrong with my phone so I asked for a replacement. They sent me a refurbished one. I really don't like this idea so I have a day or two left to decide if I want to use the refurb and send my old phone back or just sent the refurb back and keep using my old phone.

GoBlazers

Reaction score
Mine hit 120F once. I'm not sure why though. It happened while it was charging. According to my monitoring app it even started to discharge while it was plugged in when this happened.
It's possible that it was trying to find a cell signal for a long time. There's something about the town I live in that blocks all radio signals so it's hard to even get a connection to the tower only 2 miles out of town.
I suspected that there might be something wrong with my phone so I asked for a replacement. They sent me a refurbished one. I really don't like this idea so I have a day or two left to decide if I want to use the refurb and send my old phone back or just sent the refurb back and keep using my old phone.

why a refurb one? Is your phone out of warranty? If so, how did you get them to send you anything?

DracoZaroff

Reaction score

why a refurb one? Is your phone out of warranty? If so, how did you get them to send you anything?

No it's still under warranty but Verizon's return policy states that they can give you a refurbished unit to replace a defective one or to honor your insurance replacement. I told them I wasn't happy with that and the guy I talked to told me I could just keep the one I had if I didn't like it. That store has already lost my business and I'm considering not going back with Verizon after my contract is up.

reclaimer11

Reaction score
Wow you think 110 is high? My average cpu/ battery temerature is about 115, and i thought that was extreme until i woke up this morning and my phone temp was 157°F!! Im genuinly suprised my phone still works thats the hottest my phone has ever been, what damage could this have caused if any

OnDon

Reaction score
When im playing some 3d games it becomes really warm, i wonder if that could damage battery? :\