Task Killer - What's Going On?

will.anaya

Reaction score
i have taskiller, probably ever since i have had my droid, last dec.

i have had no performance issues except when i notice from its widget that if have 20mb left and my droid slows down. so i kill everything and my performance seems to increase with my emulator.

i do however uncheck my "background data" when i am not checking the market, and "use wireless networks" when i am not using my gps. my screen brightness is always off because i only use my Droid indoors when i am working on a job site, and i use my bluetooth constantly cuz its easier than holding my droid with my cheek and shoulder

i still get a day and a half in a single charge of texting, surfing, talking, and listening to music

and i talk alot because its used more for business than personal

OP
D

Deutsche_Goddess

Reaction score
Ok so I did some digging around and found quite a few people saying that if you even run a task killer or manager, it'll cause everything to force close... Not a good thing.
But, is this TRUE or is it just a case-by-case scenario?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Press the power button every time you get done using the phone to put it to sleep. Don't let it stay on until it times out. If you text or use the phone a lot this can save a lot of screen on time.

rusray

Reaction score
Press the power button every time you get done using the phone to put it to sleep. Don't let it stay on until it times out. If you text or use the phone a lot this can save a lot of screen on time.

i've just gotten into the habit of doing this over the last few weeks. Especially right after I send a text. It definitely saves you power on your display.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Screebl is also useful. It lets you set the screen timeout very low, but still keeps the screen active if you're using the phone (it looks at the angle of the phone and its motion). So you can set a 15 second screen timeout, but not be driven nuts by the screen going blank every 15 seconds while you read something. I was skeptical at first, but it really is handy.
Rooting and under/overclocking can also help as it allows you to drop the clock speed on the processor to half speed when the phone is idle or sleeping, but remain at full speed (or higher!) when you're using it.

jlaika

Reaction score
I too have a task killer (advanced task killer free.) I dont run it all the time, I open it and close all programs (including task killer) It seems to help when my droid is running slow or glitchy. I close the programs that are running with it and it seems to be fine. I usually get a full day off a battery and could probably get more. As for lengthy battery life... I think it is almost a necessity to charge when not in use, this means at night, at the office, and sometimes in the car. Smartphones are not going to get the 5 days of standby your grandmothers phone gets. I wouldn't worry about the voice search. It auto restarts on mine too.

J

Johnly

Task Killer is working properly, but the apps 'restarting' is how Android's OS runs.
Do yourself a favor, and delete the task killer. They're not needed and will decrease, not increase performance.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

To see what's actually using your battery.... press Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery Use.
You'll see that the apps that are 'opening' aren't actually using any battery :)
I was going to say that, but you already did. Task killers are lame in a Linux based OS, but some here swear by them, however, those are probably more placebo effect than any thing real.

J

Johnly

I too have a task killer (advanced task killer free.) I dont run it all the time, I open it and close all programs (including task killer) It seems to help when my droid is running slow or glitchy. I close the programs that are running with it and it seems to be fine. I usually get a full day off a battery and could probably get more. As for lengthy battery life... I think it is almost a necessity to charge when not in use, this means at night, at the office, and sometimes in the car. Smartphones are not going to get the 5 days of standby your grandmothers phone gets. I wouldn't worry about the voice search. It auto restarts on mine too.
Believe what you will, but the droid can standby for over 11 days.

ShowTime

Reaction score

True, perhaps. But who's getting this phone and just letting it sit in standby and isn't using it through out the day? Realistically, getting a full day's use out of a charge is 100% doable. And beyond that, there's no harm in letting it charge over night every night so who cares if you can't get 2 or 3 days out of a charge?

J

Johnly

True, perhaps. But who's getting this phone and just letting it sit in standby and isn't using it through out the day? Realistically, getting a full day's use out of a charge is 100% doable. And beyond that, there's no harm in letting it charge over night every night so who cares if you can't get 2 or 3 days out of a charge?
Oh, I agree, If my phone gets me through a day of heavy use, than I am good to go. As far as tweaking the phone to try and make the battery last longer, meh, boring and better things to do than that. The droid has a great battery and OS, so that department is already good...