Talked to verizon said if we tether we are very limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcjames

Reaction score
Hi in otherword if we pay for tethering we're limited for 3gb (per month) or something close who cares. Now if we root it, and just pay for data plan and what ever either 900 min or so blah blah and so on. Are we still limited for couple gb per month, or is it unlimited for tethering??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
there's a separate tethering plan that has a cap.

if you root and tether, it's unlimited. as long as your usage isn't consistently high then or like a rollercoaster of a chart, they have nothing to suspect.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
according to vzw and moto the droid is not capable of tethering.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score

I'm talking about droid x, gonna wait another week before i receive mine. DOH, anyways I believe droid could be tether by rooting and installing the tethering software. Same goes with droid x, correct me if i'm wrong, but there is alot of resault about rooting and getting tethering by root in google.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Hi in other words if we pay for tethering we're limited for 3gb (per month) or something close who cares. Now if we root it, and just pay for data plan and what ever either 900 min or so blah blah and so on. Are we still limited for couple gb per month, or is it unlimited for tethering??

Technically you cannot ethically tether without paying for it.
Doing so (from legit Verizon Wireless sources/agents) would violate
the Terms of Service or (TOS) when you signed the contract.

However the Droid 1 is in a very unique situation.
There is NO tethering plan available for the Droid 1.

Since you are technically not allowed to tether,
you could say (in the sense that you pay for unlimited
phone data) tethering at 5GB a month or less is what is allowed
since there isn't a package for the Droid 1.

Your mileage may vary and no one anywhere on any forum
will be held liable if you ever were found to be tethering and using
up data you didn't pay for (even though Ironically I feel you have)

No actual proof of this has ever come to light.
Only conjecture and unfounded/unproven accusations is all
I've ever seen.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
Just didn't know if rooting and getting tethering for free would be unlimited but i'll take the word until someone prove wrong. I do have dsl and i can download and watch utube movies unlimited, i wont be using the phone to browese much unless if i'm at a place with no internet connection.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

I'm talking about droid x, gonna wait another week before i receive mine. DOH, anyways I believe droid could be tether by rooting and installing the tethering software. Same goes with droid x, correct me if i'm wrong, but there is alot of resault about rooting and getting tethering by root in google.

Droid X?
This is different since it has the wifi hotspot feature.
The moto Droid=the Droid 1, not the X which is known as

-Droid X, Droid Xtreme, or DX.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
Hi in other words if we pay for tethering we're limited for 3gb (per month) or something close who cares. Now if we root it, and just pay for data plan and what ever either 900 min or so blah blah and so on. Are we still limited for couple gb per month, or is it unlimited for tethering??

Technically you cannot ethically tether without paying for it.
Doing so (from legit Verizon Wireless sources/agents) would violate
the Terms of Service or (TOS) when you signed the contract.

However the Droid 1 is in a very unique situation.
There is NO tethering plan available for the Droid 1.

Since you are technically not allowed to tether,
you could say (in the sense that you pay for unlimited
phone data) tethering at 5GB a month or less is what is allowed
since there isn't a package for the Droid 1.

Your mileage may vary and no one anywhere on any forum
will be held liable if you ever were found to be tethering and using
up data you didn't pay for (even though Ironically I feel you have)

No actual proof of this has ever come to light.
Only conjecture and unfounded/unproven accusations is all
I've ever seen.

I'm just here collecting information, i don't even have the phone yet and i wanna do what right and sure am going to read the contract rules. Don't we get a paper with all the rules and such when we receive a new phone?

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Just didn't know if rooting and getting tethering for free would be unlimited but i'll take the word until someone prove wrong. I do have dsl and i can download and watch utube movies unlimited, i wont be using the phone to browese much unless if i'm at a place with no internet connection.

This is why when I first got my Droid 1
I ran streaming radio sites just about 24/7 so they could
see I used a shi ton of data.

So if they did see me using data via profiling they would know I
use a lot of data.

Data= 1's and 0's, not remote viewing of what you are doing.

Reaction score
Actually, non-rooted Droid 1 with 2.2 has USB Tethering capabilities. Just no wireless hot spot tethering.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

They're referring to the Wifi hotspot feature, and in actuality, this might be true. The root Wifi tethering apps all set up the network in ad-hoc mode. A true Wifi hotspot/router runs in infrastructure mode. I am pretty sure that the Droid's Wifi chipset only supports ad-hoc (which isn't compatible with all wifi devices). The X, on the other hand, can run in infrastructure mode.

And besides, if that's what VZW wants to believe, let them. They really cannot charge for a feature that according to them isn't possible.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
Look, first of all this phone os is open source, and we own our phones since we're paying every month, if we violate, what there gonna kick us out? It's our phone, atleast my phone will be mine soon. But ofcourse service is not own by us so, well ok but hope for everyone that no one get fk doing so, we have other service to go to if verizon get pissed off of anyone rooting and getting tethering hot spot. We got cricket, and other provider. Yea i'm talking about using our droid x as a router (hotspot) as i explain on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.