Take Caution With 4G phones.

jessel0001

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to some questions I have about the line of new phones from big red. Finally I called a rep (I know their reliablity can be sketchy). After she did some diggining in her computer she came back with this: If you buy a 4G phone and don't have 4G service the device will default to 3G. But, after transition to a 4G plan you are subject to the 4G data limitations even if you are one of the folks that don't get 4G coverage until 2014. I was very excited about the Bionic (still am) but now this definitley make you step back and think. If you get this phone your data is capped and more pricey whether you have the speed or not.

Droid101

Reaction score
So, in essence, if you have a 4G phone you do not get unlimited 3G data to go with it? Any data, 3G or 4G counts against your plan's cap?

That sounds like what that person is trying to say.

I will say however I watched the Verizon CES press conference and when a question came up about 4G pricing they said they wont announce that here but the Coo/CEO stated that they felt that their current data pricing is sufficient and that they would always review their options. So I guess you can take it for what its worth but it sounds like you may actually get unlimited 3G/4G for the time being and possibly once verizon gets their 4G network more widely available they will change the pricing (Do take note I am only speculating based on what he stated so just note it isn't fact)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, Verizon's going to have to remain competitive. If T-Mobil didn't raise their rates I sternly doubt Verizon will.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Nope, Verizon's going to have to remain competitive. If T-Mobil didn't raise their rates I sternly doubt Verizon will.

But t-mobile didn't go 4g either, just HSPA+ so a bump in 3g. I would watch what ATT does with their LTE 4g pricing.

Sent from somewhere...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reguardless of pricing, or data caps, one thing is certain:

You need to know that 4G will not be nationwide for years, unless they find a faster way to piggyback it on top of existing 3G towers.

It is a urban thing, and if you are going to go to a 4G phone, you would certainly be advised to know if you are IN a 4G area.

Enough said there, so even if I decide I want the bionic as my next phone (for example) I'm going to be checking that the service is where I am before I spend the $$$ on it.

VZ will gladly sell us all 4G phones on 4G plans and not give a rat's butt whether or not we are actually located in the 4G service area.

This is a point worth remembering as we enter the 4G era...

I believe in FBM's read on it, you would not get unlimited 3G as you would be ON a 4G plan, however that said, one has to look at that 4G plan's details on data before we could come to any conclusions in that reguard.

Droid101

Reaction score

But t-mobile didn't go 4g either, just HSPA+ so a bump in 3g. I would watch what ATT does with their LTE 4g pricing.

Sent from somewhere...

Welt most of us here know that it is just a bump in 3G but t mobile is pushing it as 4G and most people wont look and see what kind of network it is they'll just see the 4G and look at whos cheaper and better.:)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

And if the cap is 5gigs it's much ado about nothing for 98% of users.

And unless 3G-only counterparts to the latest devices are coming out, I'd guess LTE base pricing remains the same as 3G (except for the cap). Otherwise there's no reason for the mfrs to engage in an arms race for only 1/4th the market.

Jeyman

Reaction score
If I can use 4~7GB on my 3g phone, I dont even want to think about how the hell I am going to do with a 4g phone and netflix coming.(this is with very little tethering too mind you.)

Ill stick with a 3g phone as long as I can if it turns out that 4g caps at 5GB. I think on a 4g phone I myself will need at least 10GB...

Yes I am a hog, I steam music like 24/7, use slingplayer a ton and serf the web a lot as well(though my slingplayer has been acting up QQ; going to have to tether this weekend for the games at work I guess lol

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes I am a hog, I steam music like 24/7, use slingplayer a ton and serf the web a lot as well(though my slingplayer has been acting up QQ; going to have to tether this weekend for the games at work I guess lol

good points....I'll be working netflix and slingplayer is something I'll purchase soon....Yeah, that will increase usage quickly.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to some questions I have about the line of new phones from big red. Finally I called a rep (I know their reliablity can be sketchy). After she did some diggining in her computer she came back with this: If you buy a 4G phone and don't have 4G service the device will default to 3G. But, after transition to a 4G plan you are subject to the 4G data limitations even if you are one of the folks that don't get 4G coverage until 2014. I was very excited about the Bionic (still am) but now this definitley make you step back and think. If you get this phone your data is capped and more pricey whether you have the speed or not.

I do not know why this surprises some of you guys.. This is not a surprise at all to me. I had an idea that the might go the Sprint route with a Verizon twist to it.

jbg25

Reaction score
I was told the same thing.

The rep told me that if you upgrade to 4g...you are signing a new contract and all terms apply (including data cap regardless of whether using 3g or 4g.

However, she did assure me that I could get a new 4g capable phone and activate it on my current 3g unlimited plan...and as long as I do not renew my contract...I will keep my unlimited.

Since there is no date for 4g in my area...I am thinking that is what I may do.

Although I am tempted to get a new 2 year contract this week and either the Droid2 or droid 2g so I can have on more early upgrade come Feb of next year...and then once the Atrix comes to Moto (assuming nothing better comes along before then) I might just dish out the $$$ for it without a contract.

Detonation

Reaction score
I was told the same thing.

The rep told me that if you upgrade to 4g...you are signing a new contract and all terms apply (including data cap regardless of whether using 3g or 4g.

However, she did assure me that I could get a new 4g capable phone and activate it on my current 3g unlimited plan...and as long as I do not renew my contract...I will keep my unlimited.

Since there is no date for 4g in my area...I am thinking that is what I may do.

Although I am tempted to get a new 2 year contract this week and either the Droid2 or droid 2g so I can have on more early upgrade come Feb of next year...and then once the Atrix comes to Moto (assuming nothing better comes along before then) I might just dish out the $$$ for it without a contract.

I haven't done all the math to figure out whats best, but I think its probably be cheaper to just sign a 1 year contract each year, which costs $70 more, versus having a second line and paying $120 a year, as well as being locked into 2 contracts for 2 years.

Beka27

Reaction score
That certainly seems like the logical path Detonation. I really, really wish I had thought to sign a one year in October. I think people balk at having to pay extra up-front, but when it comes down to it, it really is the most cost-effective method to get an "early" upgrade.