T-Mobile Gets Competitive in 2013: Big Investments, iPhone, LTE & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;-JXl3caOHMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-JXl3caOHMs[/video]​

This morning's big news comes from last night. T-Mobile officially announced via a streaming video (posted from YouTube above), that their parent company, Deutsche Telekom, will be making massive investments to transform T-Mobile into a serious competitor in 2013. Here's a breakdown of what has been revealed:
  • First, Deutsche Telekom will be coughing up $4.7 billion in cash for T-Mobile next year. Additionally, they will receive another $6 Billion in total cash over the following two years (2014 and 2015). This massive influx of cash will be used for several purposes, detailed below.
  • T-Mobile will finally be getting the iPhone for their network. Although over a million users already use an unlocked version of the iPhone on T-Mo's network, now the carrier will be officially supporting and selling the Apple product. This adds some clout and credibility to T-Mo that it was sorely lacking.
  • T-Mobile plans to use much of this investment capital to upgrade much of their existing 2G network to 3G & 4G.
  • T-Mobile's merger with MetroPCS will likely clear in 2013, which will facilitate T-Mobile's plan to rollout their own LTE network.
  • Because of this new network refarming, consumers will be able to use a wider variety of Android devices on their network too. Some of these phones were originally exclusive to other carriers like the HTC One X (or One X+) for AT&T or even Verizon’s HTC Droid DNA. Because of the global roaming capabilities of these devices, sometime in 2013 consumers will be able to take these devices over to T-Mo.
  • This last new jewel of info is the most intriguing. T-Mobile plans to kill their subsidized phone Classic Plans. However, this doesn't mean you will have to purchase all of your T-Mo phones outright. Instead of selling you a cheaper and subsidized device, but then locking you into an expensive monthly contract, you will get a much cheaper monthly contract, and make installment payments over the beginning part of your 2-year agreement. This will be about $15-20 per month on top of your cheaper plan. In the long run, this will end up much cheaper for the consumer than the current subsidized pricing model.
Sound off what you think of T-Mobile's big plans for 2013. Would you consider switching to them if they became a serious contender?

Source: Phandroid

HNettles

Reaction score
I really, really want to see the market move away from "subsidized cell phone pricing". It is a very important step, and I applaud any and all moves in that direction.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'll be keeping an eye on these developments over the next year, as I'm itching to leave Verizon once my contract is up.

Stories

Reaction score
That new phone purchasing model sounds interesting. Although moving entirely away from these long contracts is probably for the best.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'll be keeping an eye on these developments over the next year, as I'm itching to leave Verizon once my contract is up.

Yep, me too. I have a year left on my contract. All options are on the table. I'm loyal to Android but not to VZ.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

jayman350

Reaction score
very interested in the non-subsidized phone options, agree with hnettles about this being a necessary step forward for us carriers. it costs a little more up front in the phone purchase, but you save money in the long run.

i'm still on VZW's unlimited data, so my next phone will probably be full price regardless of what network i'm going to. i am not going to be renewing my contract with VZW either way, so T-Mobile being a legit contender, depending on how quickly they can get their stuff together.

cyand386

Reaction score
Good cause we all love big reds wonderful tiered plan now! Not..

geoff5093

Reaction score
This is excellent news! I've always wanted to go with T-Mobile, but I'm currently in a 2G only area, but HSPA+ is about 10 minutes away. Here's hoping they upgrade our area!

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have tmo an love it I got my g note 2 for 299 an I pay 20 bucks a month for 20 months on top of my plan which totals about 80 bucks a month an if I want a new phone I can no need to wait for an upgrade just pay the down payment an the pay 15 to 20 bucks on top of ur bill for the next 20 months so I were to buy a new phone now my monthly payment would be 100 instead of 80 an now I have 2 brand new phones no upgrade needed ^_^ plus there hspa+ rocks in my opinion ms ping of 90 an download of 10 mbs an upload of 1.5 mbs once lte comes out 2G will die an turn into hspa+ 4g an hspa+ will turn into lte so if u leave an lte area of lets say 20 mbs a sec well u then drop to hspa+ 4g of 10 mbs no 1G 2G or even 3G just awesome 4G an lte networks