Sync with two Gmail accounts

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I searched around and didn't see any solution for this specific situation. I have two Gmail accounts on my Droid. One (the main one) gets no e-mails because no one has it. I use it for my phone contacts and calender syncing. My other one gets alot of mail. What I want to be able to do is have it to where my phone contacts and calender sync with my first account, but I only receive mail on the other one. I don't want the one I receive mail on to anything other than that. Is this possible other than manually syncing each account individually???

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Share you calendar from your "main" account with the secondary email you want. Give your other email account "full access" to the calendar so it will be able to make changes to the primary calendar directly. Then just set the phone to sync with the second email account. Any changes you make to the calendar on the phone will then be made to your primary calendar (again, as long as you give the permissions to your secondary email).

It's the only workaround I know of at the moment.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
And how do I do all of this??? I looked around it settings for gmail, syncing and the calender and didn't see where I could do this.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
And how do I do all of this??? I looked around it settings for gmail, syncing and the calender and didn't see where I could do this.

From your browser (I would recommend using a computer) go to you Calendar home and hit 'Settings' in the top right. Then go to the second tab 'calendars' beside you main calendar you should see "Shared: edit settings" or if you don't have it set already it will probably say 'share this calendar' select that and it will bring you to another page that will allow you to 'make calendar public' (not recommended) or to "share with specific people." Using the second option put your other email address in and set the 'permissions' of that address to "make changes." This will make so your other calendar (from your phone) can edit it. Now, do the same thing for you second account (the one you will use from your phone) so that both calender are shared with each other and can 'make changes.' They should sync up perfectly from that point on. Also because they are both shared with each other you will not have to worry about which calendar you put a new event on.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ok I think maybe I didn't clarify what I wanted to do. What I want to do is have the account that I set up on the phone (the one that gets no e-mail) handle my contacts, calender and what ever else I want. I want the other one that I get e-mail to to handle only e-mail. I don't want it to do anything with the contacts or calender or anything else for that matter. Just automatically get e-mails w/o having to go in an manually sync it to get the mail. Is there a way to do that???

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forward the emails to the main account?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I think maybe I didn't clarify what I wanted to do. What I want to do is have the account that I set up on the phone (the one that gets no e-mail) handle my contacts, calender and what ever else I want. I want the other one that I get e-mail to to handle only e-mail. I don't want it to do anything with the contacts or calender or anything else for that matter. Just automatically get e-mails w/o having to go in an manually sync it to get the mail. Is there a way to do that???

In short, NO. The closest thing is (as suggested above) have the emails forwarded or to have you other email (the one you want to handle everything thing else) 'grab' the email from that other account (think gmail calls it 'fetch' or something).

Is there some particular reason you are trying so desperately to keep everything separate?

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

In short, NO. The closest thing is (as suggested above) have the emails forwarded or to have you other email (the one you want to handle everything thing else) 'grab' the email from that other account (think gmail calls it 'fetch' or something).

Is there some particular reason you are trying so desperately to keep everything separate?

It is my understanding that gmail will grab contacts from your e-mails. I just don't want to end up with my phone cluttered up with a bunch of unnecessary contacts. Contacts are one thing I like to manually handle.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

It is my understanding that gmail will grab contacts from your e-mails. I just don't want to end up with my phone cluttered up with a bunch of unnecessary contacts. Contacts are one thing I like to manually handle.

Yes and no, it can grab them but you have the ability to turn that off in settings. That used to annoy me too, I used Thunderbird and synced the contacts, would end up with tons of contacts I didn't want in my book. But now it's turned off and I have to specifically tell it to add contacts. So you shouldn't have a problem with just using one account or sharing the calendars like above.