Swype's "hidden word"

billyanks2

Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more on this forum. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of swype's tip box that tells you a word was "hidden". This is distinct from the word-choice box. I read somewhere that an update of swype will fix that, but that seems like it may not apply to us because the droid x came standard with swype unless swype upgrades get pushed ota.

Technoman

Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more on this forum. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of swype's tip box that tells you a word was "hidden". This is distinct from the word-choice box. I read somewhere that an update of swype will fix that, but that seems like it may not apply to us because the droid x came standard with swype unless swype upgrades get pushed ota.

Look through the Swype options....there are a lot of options that you can change. I think one has to do with the Swype tips pop up. That may also control the hidden word.

I really don't have that come up very often on my Droid 1 with Swype.

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
I tried looking through the settings before posting... nothing that I could see.

Yourrid

Reaction score
Stupid Tips on Swipe

I keep getting this annoying "tips" message that pops up telling me about a "hidden word" while im texting. I have turned off ALL SWIPE Notifications but it still comes up.

Anyone else notice this??? :icon_eek:

xowktiger

Reaction score
There's no fix for this. People have been complaining for half a year now, and kept being told that the fix would be in the next update.
Well, I deleted that **** now.

xowktiger

Reaction score
There's no fix for this. People have been complaining for half a year now, and kept being told that the fix would be in the next update.
Well, I deleted that **** now.
And Slighter, you actually click the search button? You must be pretty senior of a droid.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why this "hidden word" box comes up - as an Original Droid/Beta Swype user I don't get this - can someone explain it a little bit ?

xowktiger

Reaction score
Since we're not directly punching in the keys, the software assumes the words we are most likely to be typing. Sometimes, the traces of certain words are too similar, and add to that the imperfection of our movement, Swype will not get the correct word 100% of the time. So when it's confused, it'll give you the words that best match the trace you've provided. That is, if you were trying to type pretty, most likely you'd be seeing the page in question with a list of words such as pretty and petty.

This feature, I like, as I'd imagine most of the users would.

But every time we this feature is enabled and we choose not the first word, the one that best matches the trace you've provided, it'll show a "tips" page informing us on how to remove such words. And it keeps on popping up, long after you've memorized every word on the page.

Even worse is that if the word whose trace is similar to another word happens to be in your contacts, you're just screwed. You can't delete the name from Swype dictionary, which means if you have a Facebook friend named Holly whom you haven't seen in the past 6 years, every time you try to type holy and don't get the trace perfectly, you'll be seeing this page.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Greater Understanding xowktiger :happy:

xowktiger

Reaction score
NP, tp76. I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I took a sleeping pill my friend gave me, but I'm still wide awake at 4AM.
If anything, thank YOU for making me feel like I contributed to the world, instead of sitting at my desk like a zombie. Speaking of, I guess I'll play some zombies.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
NP, tp76. I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I took a sleeping pill my friend gave me, but I'm still wide awake at 4AM.
If anything, thank YOU for making me feel like I contributed to the world, instead of sitting at my desk like a zombie. Speaking of, I guess I'll play some zombies.
Anytime I think of insomnia I think of The Fight Club - be careful and don't beat yourself up :)