Swype issue

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
OK, downloaded and installed Swype, changed input method and all that jazz. When I go to use it, I can only tap letters to enter them (i.e. like a regular keyboard); when I do the actual swyping motion acrossed letters the phone makes a sound like its entered text, but nothing actually shows up. So...I did the typical things. Cleared data, reinstalled, battery pull, yada yada. Even re-downloaded the apk and tried again, still with the same results. I'm using launcher pro as a home replacement, and my phone's spec are in the sig. Anyone else having this issue?

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
wow, 56 views and not one suggestion, or similar story. In that case, I'm going to take a wile guess and say that for some reason, my rom/kernel may not support swype. Boo.... Anyone else using simply stunning and swype together?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Yes I have had the same problem. I have emailed the folks at swype but have not heard from them yet. I suspect there is a conflict between their program and 2.2 roms. But I am not completely sure. Sorry I do not have a fix for you but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

MJ5150

Reaction score
Did you long press on a text box then choose Swype as your input method? Set Swype as your keyboard input method from settings? These questions are not meant to insult you if you have done them, but some people forget about this, so just a friendly reminder. :D

-Mike

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
You have no idea how much finding out someone else is having the same problem is a load off of my mind :D

I was thinking that, but then I saw someone's sig with a 2.2 rom and swype, so maybe its just this particular rom? I'm pretty sure they where running cyanogen

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Did you long press on a text box then choose Swype as your input method? Set Swype as your keyboard input method from settings? These questions are not meant to insult you if you have done them, but some people forget about this, so just a friendly reminder. :D

-Mike

I am completely insulted by you extending a helping hand and offering up advice that some people would overlook... :p

haha just kidding. Yes, I did both of those things. Funny thing about this problem is that the keyboard comes up just fine, but the only way to get it to enter text is to tap the keys like the standard keyboard; the swype motion yeilds a vibration like text is entered, but no text appears in the text field.

MercKing

Reaction score
I'm having this problem on my incredible. Then it says my trial has expired and to upgrade. Dunno what to do.

excalion

Reaction score
I tried swype a while back as well. When I first tried to use it, a window popped up and told me the beta was over and I needed to upgrade or something. I clicked ok. After that I could only use it like a regular keyboard and could not swype. So I'm guessing the beta trial period is over and the devs locked swype capabilities. It is not a bug, it's probably intentional.

In a side note, Shapewriter is basically the same thing as swype and it's smoother than slide-it. Are we allowed to post free apps on these forums? It was taken off the market though, probably because of copyright issues with swype. Luckily I downloaded mine before swype QQ'd to google about it so I can keep my copy.

I wouldn't mind sharing a copy of it on these forums if that's allowed.

B-RAN

Reaction score
I am running C6 and am having the same problem. I just recenlty rooted and was running Swype when I was on stock and it was flawless. Now on C6 rooted I am not getting any input from the swype action. Anything new on this?

Dr.Soul

Reaction score
? Are you a member of the beta or are running a apk you dl from droid-life or somewhere?

I have had this happen to me 2x. 1rst on is was on a version i downloaded randomly from the web. After a couple of months it expired and i experienced this problem.

2nd time I had this happen was a week or so a go. I am now a member of the beta though so that issue was eliminated, all I did to fix it was simply reboot and it worked again.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am a member of the beta testers and I have uninstalled, wiped all cache, reinstalled a couple of times and yet all that happens is the key board will appear and the trace line will show but the word does not go into the text box. I am still waiting to hear from the people at swype as I have emailed them twice now. I think it is a conflict between swype and the 2.2 roms. I do not think they have it set up to play nice with the 2.2 roms unfortunately.

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
I'm running Bugless Beast .4 and not having any problems. I am running the official Beta version. I've had the described problems when installing new Roms, but it's been fixed by uninstalling and re-installing and re-registering. I know it's not a huge help for you, but it may be just some specific 2.2 Roms that are having problems.

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded, I had a member of the forums here respond, and he sent me an update to date version of swype that works just fine

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've used swype with a handful of different 2.2 ROMs, including SS, as well as "stock" 2.2. Every time I switch to a new rom, or back to 2.2 stock, that happens to me when Titanium (or Chevy's rstapps) tries to reinstall swype, but I've always been able to uninstall it, and reinstall with the swype installer, and it's been fine after that.

edit: sorry, posted this as the last post came in

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I have uninstalled, reinstalled and re-registered to no avail. I also have been on two different 2.2 Roms and still the same result. So I am destined to wait to hear something from the Swype team. Hopefully today.